TeNo HOME BASE Cloth-Metal-Uniform-Documents et al

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
dblmed

3.4 TeNo Armscheibe “CUT-OUT” Eagle SubType

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010 05:05

3.4 TeNo Armscheibe “CUT-OUT” Eagle SubType

The 3.4 TeNo Armscheibe “CUT-OUT” Eagle SubType does more reasonably belong under the 3.1 SubTypes (but – I was reluctant to show you any More of the “Blue” Variations!)

This “CUT-OUT” SubType Armscheibe / Eagle is one which had gone unrecognized by Collectors, until 1st seen on page 473 (TN Officer to the Far RIGHT) in “Defending the Reich.” When I ‘saw’ it, I was surprised that LJ did not comment upon it.

I immediately began searching my TeNo Foto Archives - & YES, I also found Fotos of this “CUT-OUT” SubType Eagle Patch, which I also had also not ‘recognized!’ (In fact, I found 3 Fotos of this “CUT-OUT” SubType Armscheibe / Eagle in my collection & even more examples in some Robert Noss Fotos.) Also, there is a Foto of Landesführer Walther Junecke (LG XVII) wearing his TeNo Greatcoat – with the “CUT-OUT” Eagle clearly present, on page 570 of “Police, Vol. 2.” Thus - there is No question that this variation was worn!

I am aware of only One (1) example of this “CUT-OUT” Eagle – which resides in Paul Ayerst’s collection. (I have Not been able to personally examine it.) Paul informs me that his “CUT-OUT” Eagle example appears to have be made / manufactured, in this configuration & that the edges are wrapped & not ‘cut.’ There is no Maker’s ID present.

In appearance, the “CUT-OUT” Eagle is just like a classic 3.1 Dunkelblau w Silver Wire Eagle. The difference is that 2 pieces of the Cloth Triangle, located between the lower edge of each Wing & the Canted / Rotated Swastica – have been removed. In Paul’s example, the Eagle’s LEFT Talon does Not touch the Swastica. So, this could represent a 3.1A (by “G & W”) or a 3.1 by a different Maker – which was either specifically Manufactured, or was ‘Custom Made.’

WHY the TeNo “CUT-OUT” Eagle? There was no documentation for it, prior to Dieter Deuster's recent book on "Polizei Uniformen", which ID's it as being handmade for TeNo Officers. (Previously, it was my ‘belief / theory’ is that the “CUT-OUT” was done, in order to make the TeNo Sleeve Eagle Emblem more closely resemble the SS Sleeve Eagle (since the SS was the ultimate ‘parent’ Organization for the TeNo.) Hopefully, more Examples of, & Information About, this “CUT-OUT” TeNo Eagle will be found.

Thanks to PaulBear / Paul A, for sharing his example. ... Best, ...Dave / dblmed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dblmed

3.5 TeNo Armscheibe “MINI-SIZE” Unknown SubType

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010 05:26

3.5 TeNo Armscheibe “MINI-SIZE” Unknown SubType

The 3.5 TeNo Armscheibe “MINI-SIZE” Unknown SubType Armscheibe / Eagle is quite an oddity – as it is basically a ‘Miniature’ Type 3.1 Dunkelblau w Silver Wire Thread Sleeve Eagle! It is a real beauty & it was previously Unknown!

This TeNo 3.5 “Mini” is more the size of a TeNo Side Cap Eagle – But, the Eagle’s Head faces it’s RIGHT Wing, as do ALL TeNo Sleeve Eagles. To add to the Mystery, the “Mini” is Maker Marked “ges. Gesch. G & W” on the Reverse & it is of the same Construction as it’s ‘Bigger Brother’ Type 3.1A “G & W” TeNo Sleeve Eagle. This one Example also shows definite signs of having been used & then Uniform removed.

WHAT was the "TN-Mini's" Purpose?
I don’t know – yet, but I ‘believe’ that we will learn it’s purpose when reading through some obscure issue of the “TN Verordnungsblatt” or in the “Die Räder” - bi-monthly Magazine of the TN • Technische Nothilfe.

One long term TN Collector ‘suggested’ that the 3.5 “Mini” might have been worn by the TN Helferin – since “Mini” sized Eagles were worn by the Female Auxiliary workers, in some other TR Organizations? (However, this is only an educated ‘guess’ at this point, since No Fotos of [or Information about] the TeNo TR Helferin have yet been found – to my knowledge.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dblmed

3.6 TeNo Armscheibe EMBROIDERED-(WHITE) SubType

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010 05:30

3.6 TeNo Armscheibe HAND EMBROIDERED – (WHITE) SubType

The 3.6 TeNo Armscheibe HAND EMBROIDERED – (WHITE) SubType is one of the “Hyper-Rare” TeNo patches. I am aware of only TWO (2) examples of this type.
Yes – this is One of ONLY 2 TeNo Eagle Examples on Black Cloth!

The 3.6 TeNo Armscheibe HAND EMBROIDERED – (WHITE) SubType has the following Characteristics:
• The base material is of 1 piece of Black wool.
• There is No ‘Fold Over’ of material. (Embroidery ‘stitches’ are seen on the Reverse.)
• The TeNo ‘Eagle Emblem’ is HAND Embroidered using an Off-White Thread.
• The TeNo Cog Wheel has 18 Cogs (A Very Unusual Number!)
• The Embroidery is quite fine & shows many details exceptionally well. Distinct ‘twisted thread’ is used between some wing feathers.
• The Eagle’s Head is of a very ‘Unusual’ rounded shape & has a hand applied Black Thread ‘Eye.’
• The Eagle’s LEFT Talon does Not touch the Arm of the Swastika below it.
• It is Not Maker Marked.

VARIATIONS: I am aware of only TWO (2) examples of this TeNo Type 3.6 HAND EMBROIDERED – (WHITE) SubType Armscheibe. It may well be a “Limited Use” patch – which was Custom Embroidered for a specific TN Unit, or for a Special Purpose designation. It is a very, very special TeNo Eagle. (I would Love to see another Example of this type!)

dblmed

3.7 TeNo Armscheibe EMBROIDERED BULLION SubType

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010 05:34

3.7 TeNo Armscheibe HAND EMBROIDERED – (BULLION) SubType

The 3.7 TeNo Armscheibe HAND EMBROIDERED – (BULLION) SubType is another one of the “Hyper-Rare” TeNo patches. Currently, the shown One (1) example, is the only one of which I am aware. I ‘believe’ that the Type 3.7 also represents a ‘Custom Made’ TeNo Eagle, for the reasons which I will list.
Yes – this Example is on Black Cloth - one of the rare uses for the TeNo!

The 3.7 TeNo Armscheibe HAND EMBROIDERED – (BULLION) SubType has the following Characteristics:
• The base material is of 1 piece of Black wool.
• There is No ‘Fold Over’ of material. (Bullion Embroidery ‘stitches’ are seen on the Reverse, through a tear in the Black Paper covering) [Black Paper is also commonly seen on SS Patches.)
• The TeNo ‘Eagle Emblem’ is HAND Embroidered using Silver (Aluminum) BULLION Wire.
• The TeNo Cog Wheel has 13 Cogs (Another Unusual Number!)
• The Embroidery is fine & shows many details exceptionally well. Distinct ‘twisted BLACK thread’ is used between wing feathers.
• The Eagle’s Chest shows no feathers, as the Bullion is vertical.
• The Eagle’s Head has a hand applied large Black Thread ‘Eye.’
• The Eagle’s LEFT Talon does Not touch the Arm of the Swastica below it (But, it does override the arm of the swastica - which is Unusual.)
• It is Not Maker Marked.

VARIATIONS: I am currently aware of this One (1) example of the TeNo Type 3.7 HAND EMBROIDERED – (BULLION - Silver) SubType Armscheibe. It may well be a “1 of Example” – but I am inclined to ‘believe’ that there will be other Examples found, since this type of construction is well known in other TR Organizations. (I look Forward to seeing other Examples of this type!)

dblmed

TeNo Type 4.1-TeNo-POLICE (EM / NCO) Armscheibe

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010 05:38

TeNo Armscheibe Type 4.1 – the TeNo-POLICE (EM / NCO) EAGLE

The TeNo Armscheibe Type 4.1 – TeNo-POLICE EAGLE configuration, is that of the familiar Police Sleeve Eagle ‘shape’ – but with a BLACK machine embroidered Eagle, used for TeNo-Police EM/NCO’s. (Information regarding the TeNo-Police Officer Eagle, is to follow.)

The Introduction of the TeNo Armscheibe Type 4.1 – TeNo-POLICE EAGLE is the study of delays, postponements, supply problems & SS political intrigue! The Type 4.1 was a part of Himmler’s ‘formal’ (i.e. Uniform Wearing) incorporation of the TeNo - into the Polizei / SS umbrella (with the Uniform & Insignia changes published September 29, 1942.) But, there were delays & postponements - & another ‘official’ announcement was made May 18, 1943, with an implementation date of June 1, 1943. However, even this important information was Not even published in the TeNo Magazine, “Die Räder” until December, 1943!

These ‘changes’ were to be implemented 1st for those TeNo units serving outside of the Reich - & then gradually implemented to the then current Dunkelblau uniformed TeNo. Even with all of the past prior delays – there were future delays as well. The Dunkelblau uniformed TeNo, inside of the Reich, had Not received the ‘new’ Police Green uniforms & had Not changed to the 29.9.1942 Ranks (including the wear of the Type 4.1 TeNo-POLICE EAGLE), by the end of the war.

The TeNo Armscheibe Type 4.1 – TeNo-POLICE (EM / NCO) EAGLE has the following Characteristics:
• The base material is of Police GREEN Wool, in an Oval shape backing.
• A BLACK “Police Type” Eagle is machine embroidered on the Oval.
• The Eagle’s head faces towards it’s Right Wing.
• The Eagle was to be worn Only on the TeNo-Police Green Uniform.
• There is NO TeNo Identification, of Any type, found on this Patch itself – other than the Unique BLACK Color Combination.

[NOTE: Along with the Black Eagle, Recognition of TeNo Membership was designated in the form of a Diamond Shaped Black Raute (Tradition Badge), which incorporated the classic “Cog with TN” emblem, machine embroidered in White, or Grey, Thread – & worn on the Left lower Sleeve.]

dblmed

Type 4.2 TeNo-Police (OFFICER) Armscheibe (EAGLE)

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010 05:43

Type 4.2 TeNo-Police (OFFICER) Armscheibe (EAGLE)

This 'TeNo Type' is the standard type Officer's grade Polizei Eagle, on a polizei green background.
Thus, it is the Only TeNo Armscheibe which was not used exclusively by the Technische Nothilfe.

The Type 4.2 TeNo-Police (OFFICER) Armscheibe (EAGLE) has the following Characteristics:
• 'Standard' Police Officer's Sleeve Eagle - in Silver Bullion.
• Either on Oval Backing or as a 'Cut-Out' Eagle, with a remaining margin of Police green cloth.
• Backing color is Police Green, consistent with the 1943 Police Uniform

dblmed

SUMMARY-TeNo Armscheiben-Types 1.0 - 4.0 •

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010 05:46

SUMMARY-TeNo Armscheiben-Types 1.0 - 4.0 • Please POST OTHERS ! ! !

SEARCH your Collections for other TN Eagle Variants. In the prior Posts, I have attempted to share with you essentially ‘ALL’ of the information that I am currently aware of, concerning these 4 Types of TeNo Armscheiben (& their SubTypes).

Hopefully, these Postings have shown the Common, as well as some of the seldom seen or ‘previously unknown’ TeNo Armscheiben. In doing so – hopefully, these TeNo LEFT Shoulder Patches will now be much ‘Less of a Mystery’ & much more ‘Understandable’ to Collectors. TR Collecting is a continuous learning process & I look forward to seeing other Examples!

• PLEASE Post Other Examples & Variations of the various TeNo Armscheiben from your Collections (or from the NET) - for discussion & for learning from them.

• PLEASE Point Out & Correct Any “Errors / Misstatements” - which I have made in any of my Postings! The intended goal is to present Only Accurate & Documented Information - & - to Learn more about the TN • TeNo • Technische Nothilfe. …Txs, Dave/dblmed

dblmed

• TN Officer - ca. 1937 - Photo •

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010 05:51

• TN Officer - ca. 1937 - Photo •

This nice portrait photo shows a TN Officer ca. 1937, though the photo is undated. (Note - all items are from my collection, as per forum posting rules.)

He wears the Pre-1936 single right shoulder board only, and his visor has black & silver cording on the crest (seen faintly on his right side), which was done away with in the 1936 uniform changes. Also the visor's main cording / chin strap was changed to all silver for officers at that time. (Since uniform insignia changes were introduced with a usual gradual change [over a number of months] to the latest requirements, it is not unusual to find photos with this mix of date items.) He has his WWI medals in wear, and most early TN officers seem to have had WWI service experience.

Also present on the left sleeve is the TN Reichsschule Arrow patch above the TN Eagle sleeve triangle. The specific TN Eagle sleeve triangle patch was introduced in 1937, so this dates the photo, IMO. A TN logo button can be seen at the black cross strap, and at the right pocket.

The left collar patch (tab) places him in several possible rank classifications (Gefolgschaftsführer to Scharführer), which can not be exactly determined without being able to see the single shoulder board.

The TN specific visor eagle was introduced in 1935 - first as a Nickel Silver model and later in the more commonly found Aluminum (white metal) which continued in use until 8 May, 1945. The TN specific laurel leaf cockarde was introduced at some time After the TN visor eagle (exact date is unknown, but late 1936 photos show it in wear.) ...

dblmed

TeNo Collar Piping - Pre-1937 - Photo

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010 06:01

TeNo Collar Piping - Pre-1937 - Photo

This is a nice example of a young TN officer (who appears to be trying to look like someone familiar? with the stubby mustache).

His Dunkelblau Tunic has the Silver / Black Color piping to his collar lapels, which is consistent for this era.

His Visor is also Dunkelblau and it has the very rarely seen Black w Silver "V's" piping to parts of the Visor & the chin cording.

His Rank is that of TN-Oberscharführer - based upon "seeing" one cross tresse, near the base of his single Shoulder Board.

The photo allows for a nice study of the TeNo Uniform, Ranking & the Visor. [Period fotos are the Key!]

dblmed

TeNo Officer Portrait - from 1939 (or later)

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010 06:04

TeNo Officer Portrait - from 1939 (or later)

This is a great TeNo Officer photo, as it has it 'All' for a study of TN Items:

* LD Trade Badge / Circle - on left lower sleeve;
* Reichsschule Arrow - left shoulder, for having attended Reichsschule Belzig or
Dresden;
* TN Honor Year Band - on right cuff;
* TN Visor (post 1936) - as the crest piping is Silver only; and combination of
Embroidered Cockarde/Kranz with a Metal TN Eagle;
* TN Dagger Hangers (Fabric Model) - authorized for wear in about Dec, 1938, but not available until later;
* TN Logo buttons on his Uniform;
* Plus the SA Sports Badge and Ribbon Bars (types unknown to me?)

and, you may see things which I have missed! ........ Txs, Dave/dblmed

dblmed

• TeNo Officer with WWI Submariner Badge •

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010 06:09

• TeNo Officer with WWI Submariner Badge • (Pre 1937)

This is a nice TN Uniform, and related, photo.
The date is late 1935 - early 1936 (as the sleeve eagle came out in 1935, but the single shoulder board was changed to Double Shoulder Boards in 1936.)

* TN Right Tab is XII/5 - is identified as being for the TN Ortsgruppe Kassel (matches up with Kassel on the photographer's stamp on reverse)
* A Trade Circle / Raute on the left lower sleeve
* Part of a 1919-1923 Honor Cuff Title on the lower right sleeve above the cuff line
* TN Visor Eagle + Laurel Mützenkranz
* Medals on ribbons (which I am not able to ID)
* Close up of what I believe is the WWI Submariner Badge, (below a circular pin / badge)
* The 'unusual' leather gaiters / protectors around his boots / shoes.

The majority of TN Officers, which I have learned about thus far, were in the WWI Army. This is the 1st example in which I have found which has a Kriegsmarine connection, but I am sure that there will be others. Lots of great items to see in this photo. ..... Txs, Dave/dblmed

dblmed

TeNo / TN Dunkelblau Mantel - 1

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010 06:15

TeNo / TN Dunkelblau Mantel - 1

I've been looking for a TN Overcoat for quite some time & expected to find one made of wool (If I was lucky enough to find one at all!) To my pleasant surprise, this TN-Mantel is made of a heavy Navy blue / dunkelblau Cotton fabric which has been 'water proofed.' Almost as heavy as a canvas, but slightly softer and more malleable. It's consistency is more like a duck hunter's / Cotton-Duck all weather coat. The internal seams are all rubberized and there is a cotton strap with clip for attaching the TN Führerdolch, which passed through the left pocket.

The Mantel has TN-Kameradeschaftführer's slip-in shoulder boards (with TN logo buttons) which is consistent with the 1940-1943 TN insignia in effect. Also present is the TN TYR Rune Arrow noting that this officer had been through either the Belzig [or Dresden] TN-Reichsschule. The TN triangular eagle patch is the standard metallic wire on dunkelblau model.

It is interesting that no collar tabs, or TN cuff title, were ever attached to this TN-Mantel. My belief is that since the purpose of the particular overcoat was for use in the rain, etc., that those insignia devices were omitted.

Official TN issued overcoats are distinctive in that they have 2 rows of 5 buttons each, 10 in total, and are the TN logo type (silver or OD, olive drab, in rare instances.) The TN assigned to the Heer and Luftwaffe used their overcoats, which are the 2 rows of 6 button's types (12 buttons in total). (TN in Kriegs' service did exist, but is so rare, that I have not yet even seen any uniform photos!) All in all, I feel that it is a nice representative TN uniform item of a TN-Mantel. Hopefully, a dunkelblau wool model will turn up one day!

dblmed

TeNo-Kameradschaftführer Shoulder Board 1940-1943

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010 06:19

• TeNo-Kameradschaftführer Shoulder Board • [1940 - 1943]

Here is a photo of the left shoulder area of the Dunkelbalu TN Mantel showing the TN-Kameradschaftführer's slip-on shoulder board (with TN logo button, of the "TN-in-COG.") The shoulder board shows wear, which is nice. The top is a of matte silver material and the underside is black cloth backing.

The texture of the Dunkelblau 'Cotton Duck' material of which the TN Mantel is constructed, is also shown pretty well (to my surprise also). ...Txs, Dave/dblmed

dblmed

• TN-Reichsschule Arrow & TN Eagle Sleeve Patch •

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010 06:26

• TN-Reichsschule Arrow & TN Eagle Sleeve Patch •

Another left shoulder photo of the Mantel shows TN-Reichsschule Arrow (made of the same matte silver material, as the shoulder board) and the TN dunkelblau eagle triangle patch with metallic wire construction.

[The TN Reichsschule in Belzig was established in 1936, although 'informal' TN schulen were in existence before this date. The Reichsschule Arrow was awarded to participants who had successfully taken, and passed, a 2 week Lehrgang. The "Arrow" was a highly regarded recognition amongst the members of the TN.]

(With only the previously noted exceptions, the TN did not use Black as an eagle color. The TeNo • TN did not use Black as a uniform color, as is often incorrectly referenced. The very dark Navy Blue / Dunkelblau color has been mistaken for Black in the past.)

The photo also nicely allows us to see see the slip-on aspect of the Kameradschaftführer's shoulder board above.

dblmed

TN Reichsschule Urkunde für Arrow Zeichens (Patch)

Post by dblmed » 28 Apr 2010 06:54

TN Reichsschule Urkunde für Arrow Zeichens (Patch)

The Reichsschule der TN issued an Urkunde to those school participants, who had earned the right to wear the the very special "Arrow" Zeichens (Patch). Initially, there were only Führerlehrgangen at the RS-Belzig. However, as time progressed, all ranks of TN members [except for Anwärter / Candidate] attended classes at the Reichsschule. This particular Urkunde was issued to a Führerlehrgang member.

This Urkunde was awarded on September 4, 1943, by Joseph Fornoni. He was a TN Landesführer & also an Oberst der Schutzpolizei [Schup.] - which was typical for high ranking TN officers, from about 1943. Fornoni served as "Inspektor 1" in the TeNo Headquarters in Berlin - the RATN [Reichsamt Technische Nothilfe.]

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”