Restoring Helmet

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Spartan24

Restoring Helmet

Post by Spartan24 » 25 Feb 2003, 08:26

I just bought a spanish helmet off of eBay and want to know just how to restore it to look like a Heer helmet. See the pic! What decals do I need and what color paint do I need to use? What is the best type of paint to use? Is there any directions on the web that help you do this? Thanks in advance!
Attachments
helmet.jpg
helmet.jpg (38.67 KiB) Viewed 1526 times

CHRISCHA

Post by CHRISCHA » 25 Feb 2003, 23:02

I don't know about technique, but check out German helmets.com.

Brig

Post by Brig » 26 Feb 2003, 02:57

paints vary. be sure to use a primer. Also, grind down or gently saw off that front tab. You can't convert the liner easily, so don't worry about it.

As for paints, war-time colors are no longer produced, so you gotta mix until you find something close-enough. Decals can be purchased, wet-transfer, for 2 bucks apiece at http://www.military-steel-helmets-and-decals.com/

Here are a few pics of a helmet I screwed with. The paint is actually dark grey, but looks blue. And I had a prob with the front tab because I slipped, but it'll give you a basic idea
Attachments
2.JPG
2.JPG (49.27 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (37.82 KiB) Viewed 1498 times

Brig

Post by Brig » 26 Feb 2003, 02:59

BTW, his decals are excellent, it's my pics that are bad!

davies435

Restoring a spanish helmet

Post by davies435 » 26 Feb 2003, 03:01

:idea: E-mail me at "[email protected]".
I'm a new member (this is my first posting) from Wales (U.K)
Retire British Army Officer and collector of German eqpt. - Helmets a speciality!
I have over 140 genuine unmessed-with examples here and some re-finished ones!
I'm about to put one up for auction on eBay that is a factory textured M40 with correct liner,chinstrap and colour - I could bang-on a Heer decal for you if you like (if we come to an mutually agreeable arrangement).
Converting a spanish one is a long process that seldom ends with a half-convincing result,drop me a line,

Mike

Brig

Re: Restoring a spanish helmet

Post by Brig » 26 Feb 2003, 03:04

davies435 wrote::idea: E-mail me at "[email protected]".
I'm a new member (this is my first posting) from Wales (U.K)
Retire British Army Officer and collector of German eqpt. - Helmets a speciality!
I have over 140 genuine unmessed-with examples here and some re-finished ones!
I'm about to put one up for auction on eBay that is a factory textured M40 with correct liner,chinstrap and colour - I could bang-on a Heer decal for you if you like (if we come to an mutually agreeable arrangement).
Converting a spanish one is a long process that seldom ends with a half-convincing result,drop me a line,

Mike
maybe he just wants to do it as a project. maybe he's not looking for some professionally done piece. I know I like doing it as a hobby

davies435

Spanish helmet project

Post by davies435 » 02 Mar 2003, 22:07

Brig,
Seen your name come up a lot - you obviously post here quiet a bit.
I'm a "New guy" here so don't want to put anyone's nose out of joint over this helmet, BUT...Maybe..........HE can speak for himself!
I've been collecting these things for a long while now and have seen quite a few people converting Spanish helmets, some guys buy genuine German liners to put in them..............have expensive repaint jobs...............even seen genuine WWII era decals applied to them, one or two guys have spent more doing this than it would have cost to buy a genuine untouched example! I just wanted to give the guy the option - that's all, as he seems quite serious about the German specs.
The helmet I have is a genuine helmet...with a great paint-job and an excellect (but repro liner).........not really that valuable at all - except to an enthusiast who just wants one to sit on the shelf.
Like I said, not meaning to offend anyone - just trying to help him.
Best regards,

Mike

Brig

Re: Spanish helmet project

Post by Brig » 03 Mar 2003, 01:00

davies435 wrote:Brig,
Seen your name come up a lot - you obviously post here quiet a bit.
I'm a "New guy" here so don't want to put anyone's nose out of joint over this helmet, BUT...Maybe..........HE can speak for himself!
I've been collecting these things for a long while now and have seen quite a few people converting Spanish helmets, some guys buy genuine German liners to put in them..............have expensive repaint jobs...............even seen genuine WWII era decals applied to them, one or two guys have spent more doing this than it would have cost to buy a genuine untouched example! I just wanted to give the guy the option - that's all, as he seems quite serious about the German specs.
The helmet I have is a genuine helmet...with a great paint-job and an excellect (but repro liner).........not really that valuable at all - except to an enthusiast who just wants one to sit on the shelf.
Like I said, not meaning to offend anyone - just trying to help him.
Best regards,

Mike
like I said, I can also hook him up with a guy who sells QUALITY repro decals, liners, chinstraps, etc, etc for a decent price! Maybe 50 bucks for the liner, chinstrap, and decals WITH shipping/insurance (depends, of course, on your plans of conversion)

davies435

Helmet painting

Post by davies435 » 03 Mar 2003, 01:36

Sturm,
If you do decide to paint your existing helmet - DON'T use a primer or undercoat! Original hemets were painted using a rust-prohibitive coat of paint....................a lot of people (mostly non english but english speaking have read Baer's book on this subject and interpreted this as meaning that the helmet were given a coat of primer/undercoat first...................I have enough examples here to see that this is absolutely NOT the case. ALL paint prohibits the onset of rust................and this si what's meant in this translation of a german book. Bell even argues that a red-oxide paint should go on first..............which shows his knowledge on the fact and his accuracy. Talk to JB on helmets& decals.com.......he'll put you straight.

Mike

Brig

Post by Brig » 03 Mar 2003, 01:45

BUT, since war-quality paints, especially lead-based, are practically impossible to find, a primer MIGHT be needed depending on the type of paint one wishes to use (manufactorer-wise, type, etc, naturally)

davies435

Paint

Post by davies435 » 03 Mar 2003, 01:55

Hehehe - Brig...............you bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice one mate - I was wondering if you'd pipe-up.
Nah.....seriously though..................as long as an enamel is used then baked-on........................it'll be fine!
Suface should be roughed-up a bit first with coarse wire-wool to give it a key. The few re-paints I have here are done this way...............even the ones JB did for me are too.........................and they're just as hard-wearing as originals!
Nice noe mate,

mike

Brig

Post by Brig » 03 Mar 2003, 01:57

baking, yeah. but I am always unnerved about baking my helmet with paint on it net to my steak

davies435

steaks

Post by davies435 » 03 Mar 2003, 02:19

Brig,
What?....................oh you don't know what you're missing mate.
A steak isn't a steak without a hint of thinners or turpentine spirit - clears your sinuses a treat!

Mike

Brig

Post by Brig » 03 Mar 2003, 22:15

not much of a cook anyway. my primary diet consists of water, beef jerky, MREs, and Mountain Dew

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”