Sewing patterns for Finnish uniforms

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Mangrove
Member
Posts: 1869
Joined: 25 Dec 2004 01:33

Sewing patterns for Finnish uniforms

Post by Mangrove » 22 Nov 2010 13:59

I happen to come across of a pile of 1930s and 40s "Vaatturi" tailor magazines. I have not gone through all of them but here is a list of patterns I have found thus far:

5/1936
Officer's m/36 tunic

8/1936
Officer's greatcoat

3/1940
Civil Guard's m/27 field tunic

9/1941
Army m/36 tunic

4/1942
"Military pullover"

Mangrove
Member
Posts: 1869
Joined: 25 Dec 2004 01:33

Re: Sewing patterns for Finnish uniforms

Post by Mangrove » 02 Mar 2011 08:06

A visit to the National Archive was successful in a sense I managed to find patterns and specifications for following items:

[Folder] T 27408/Hh 1
Footcloth m/38
Navy cap m/39

T 27408/Hh 2
Gloves (post-m/28)
Field cap m/36

Mangrove
Member
Posts: 1869
Joined: 25 Dec 2004 01:33

Re: Sewing patterns for Finnish uniforms

Post by Mangrove » 08 Jul 2011 07:19

Here are some more patterns from Vaatturi. I see that it could be reasonably easy to modify the M/36 tunic pattern to German M43 tunic, if one wanted to. Send me a PM if you're interested of any of these patterns. However I'm still looking for patterns for M/36 trousers and field cap.

M/19(?) tunic and trousers (4/1919)
M/19(?) overcoat (10/1919)
M/22 tunic (2/1939).
M/39 summer tunic (12/1940).

Mangrove
Member
Posts: 1869
Joined: 25 Dec 2004 01:33

Re: Sewing patterns for Finnish uniforms

Post by Mangrove » 13 Jul 2011 19:00

In addition to these, there are patterns to Lotta Svärd overcoat, jacket and skirt on folder PK 1800/14 at the Finnish National Archive.

defeated
New member
Posts: 1
Joined: 07 Sep 2012 11:01

Re: Sewing patterns for Finnish uniforms

Post by defeated » 07 Sep 2012 11:05

Bit of a necro here, but do you still have the patterns lying around? Specifically interested in the m/39 Navy cap and any other cap patterns that you found.

/Dan

Mangrove
Member
Posts: 1869
Joined: 25 Dec 2004 01:33

Re: Sewing patterns for Finnish uniforms

Post by Mangrove » 09 Sep 2012 08:39

defeated wrote:Bit of a necro here, but do you still have the patterns lying around?
Yes I have. Actually I browsed through my copies and found out that the cap patterns I have are unfortunately contain only the visor part. On good side, I have found patterns and instructions for additional items, such as mittens, socks, neck gaiter, paper vests etc.

Mangrove
Member
Posts: 1869
Joined: 25 Dec 2004 01:33

Re: Sewing patterns for Finnish uniforms

Post by Mangrove » 17 Feb 2013 12:17

Since the recent update, I am quite happy to find a pattern for the Finnish wartime wool cloth mittens with palms made out of cotton. At least 119,000 pairs were made between September 1942 and May 1943 by T:mi Mauno Lintero. Thus I would say they were the most numerous and important mitten designs used by the front line troops during winters of 1942-43 and 1943-44.

jmaurer
New member
Posts: 1
Joined: 09 Jul 2013 03:38

Re: Sewing patterns for Finnish uniforms

Post by jmaurer » 12 Jul 2013 13:13

Mangrove:
I'm interested in some of the patterns you've listed, but I'm at a loss to figure out how to send you a PM. I'm a new member to the forum, and quite frankly, I joined after finding your post about the patterns. Any suggestions?

Opie1966
New member
Posts: 1
Joined: 29 Dec 2013 10:09

Re: Sewing patterns for Finnish uniforms

Post by Opie1966 » 29 Dec 2013 10:15

I am trying to search for these patterns as no links were given. I am trying to get a pattern for an M 1936 German tunic, http://moebius.freehostia.com/feldbluse.htm

and seen you had the finish version.

Where can I see these patterns? I would appreciate it a lot, thanks.

das gewehr
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: 25 Feb 2014 06:52

Re: Sewing patterns for Finnish uniforms

Post by das gewehr » 27 Nov 2014 19:59

Wehere i find these patterns?

Mangrove
Member
Posts: 1869
Joined: 25 Dec 2004 01:33

Re: Sewing patterns for Finnish uniforms

Post by Mangrove » 28 Nov 2014 13:10

das gewehr wrote:Wehere i find these patterns?
You may e.g. order photocopies of the magazines through the National Library of Finland.

das gewehr
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: 25 Feb 2014 06:52

Re: Sewing patterns for Finnish uniforms

Post by das gewehr » 28 Nov 2014 17:16

Thank you! But, i am in Argentina ( my english is very bad... jajaaj sorry) Can i order photocopies?

Branuz
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 06 Mar 2017 08:11
Location: Finland

Re: Sewing patterns for Finnish uniforms

Post by Branuz » 06 Mar 2017 08:22

Mangrove wrote:I happen to come across of a pile of 1930s and 40s "Vaatturi" tailor magazines. I have not gone through all of them but here is a list of patterns I have found thus far:

5/1936
Officer's m/36 tunic

8/1936
Officer's greatcoat

3/1940
Civil Guard's m/27 field tunic

9/1941
Army m/36 tunic

4/1942
"Military pullover"
Hey there mate do you still have the patterns ? I would really appreciate your help if you do. I am an 3d modeller and visual effects student and currently in middle of building my final work which i chose to make about continuity/winter war in Finland. Im in middle of the character design and about to start making the clothes in marvelous designer. But to make this as realistic and good looking as possible i somehow need to get hold of the patterns for the clothes. I would have a lot easier time to get the patterns if i was back in Finland but sadly i am currently in Seoul and next time i go back to Finland is probably during the autumn time. So far this post is the closest i have found on getting to see the patterns. Anyways all and any help would be highly appreciated :)

Mangrove
Member
Posts: 1869
Joined: 25 Dec 2004 01:33

Re: Sewing patterns for Finnish uniforms

Post by Mangrove » 06 Mar 2017 16:43

Branuz wrote: I would really appreciate your help if you do. I am an 3d modeller and visual effects student and currently in middle of building my final work which i chose to make about continuity/winter war in Finland. Im in middle of the character design and about to start making the clothes in marvelous designer. But to make this as realistic and good looking as possible i somehow need to get hold of the patterns for the clothes.
Unfortunately the patterns in questions are merely tailoring patterns in textual format. This means you have to actually drawn them line by line according to the measurements of the person in question.

Branuz
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 06 Mar 2017 08:11
Location: Finland

Re: Sewing patterns for Finnish uniforms

Post by Branuz » 07 Mar 2017 06:26

Mangrove wrote:
Branuz wrote: I would really appreciate your help if you do. I am an 3d modeller and visual effects student and currently in middle of building my final work which i chose to make about continuity/winter war in Finland. Im in middle of the character design and about to start making the clothes in marvelous designer. But to make this as realistic and good looking as possible i somehow need to get hold of the patterns for the clothes.
Unfortunately the patterns in questions are merely tailoring patterns in textual format. This means you have to actually drawn them line by line according to the measurements of the person in question.
That will already be more then i can wish for :) The tailoring patterns are exactly what im looking for text or not i can still read ^^ I will be avaible to insert the information in the program i am using to create the cloth simulation and hopefully get the result i am aiming for. If its possible for you to post photos or something of the books text i will be truly thankful for all your trouble.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”