SD Uniform Types and Reproductions

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Edpin

SD Uniform Types and Reproductions

Post by Edpin » 14 Apr 2012 15:54

Hi all,

Right, so I've been studying for German security service of World War 2 for the past three months, and I end up with the interest of liking Sicherheitsdienst (SD) Uniforms :) I found types of the uniforms such as M34 and M37/38, with the grey color and open-necked tunic. So, maybe you guys can answer some questions.

First is about the types of the uniforms. After I checked some picture on the internet I think M34 and M37/38 uniforms seem very similar. It's very confusing :? . Can you tell me about the details and differences about those two uniforms?

Second, and the last question is about the reproduction of this uniform. I would like to obtain a set of those (reproduction with excellent quality and reasonable price). I've considered price up to USD300 is great for me. Any info about this issue?

NB: I attached a picture that shows you one type of the uniform.

Sorry this is a lot of questions, but I think this is very new to me :)
Any help and info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WTW26

Re: SD Uniform Types and Reproductions

Post by WTW26 » 15 Apr 2012 13:50

The difference, as far as I know, is that the M34 had an open collar, while the M37 had a closed collar.

I have ordered a black M32 SD tunic from thehistorybunker.co.uk. They'll do a good job, provided that you are very, very specific about what you want, and control them every step of the way.

Edpin

Post by Edpin » 20 Apr 2012 07:10

All-Seeing Eye,

Thanks for the reply. I don't know which one is correct, but my friend also told me both of them are open-collar type.
The difference is that M34 use the old-type sb (as the Allgemine-SS did) on both shoulders, and the M37/38 use the normal Waffen-SS sb.
I think the link you gave me, has the similar models as the pictures shown in www.unionmilitaria.net/index.php

Cheers,
edpin

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 20 Apr 2012 09:47

Shoulder boards changed, both types could be seen on all types of tunic depending on date and personal taste ... often dependant on rank ... the higher the rank the more opportunity for individuality. The longer the officer had served the more likely they were to have and therefore carry on using superceeded insignia and kit (for example a man who became a general in '44 wouldn't be likely to have access to pre '42 insignia, some of the 'Old School' of the Waffen-SS commanders kept the early 'Liebhussar' pattern cap skull (Kurt Meyer for e.g.) they would have odds and sods of different uniform ... for example in this photograph taken in July '44 in the Normandy invasion front taken from Wikipaedia..

Meyer wears a custom-made blurred edge pattern tunic, Max Wünsche wears a jacket made from Italian camouflage material and Fritz Witt is straight as per regulations.

Btw the photo you posted (taken a mid '42 onwards) shows a typical mishmash of TWO early general's single shoulder cords (commonly seen with staff/non-combat positions) with post mid '42 Obergrüppenfuhrer tabs and the brown shirt which should be white but which could also be black IF you had the balls (and Oakleaves) to carry it off :milwink:

I hope this makes you realise the non-uniformity of wartime SS uniforms.

Cheers, Ian.

Edpin

Post by Edpin » 20 Apr 2012 10:49

Ian Hulley,

Your comment was really great. That's an interesting explanation regarding my issue about the uniform.
At first I thought they just merely followed the regulations, i.e. which uniform for which occasion.
But it makes sense if non-uniformity would exist as well in the case of wartime.

PS: I love your words "the higher the rank the more opportunity for individuality". :)

And one more thing about the brown shirt. I have read an article somewhere (I can't remember the source), that brown shirt was used as a service duty uniform where white shirt was worn during special or formal occasion. Is that true?

Cheers,
edpin

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 20 Apr 2012 11:19

Service uniform ... grey or brown shirt.
Undress uniform (Officers) .. Brown shirt

Verordnungsblatt der Waffen-SS 15th Sept. '43 forbade the wearing of the brown shirt with any kind of uniform ... only the field grey shirt was to be worn.

Ian

WTW26

Post by WTW26 » 20 Apr 2012 20:42

Edpin wrote:All-Seeing Eye,

Thanks for the reply. I don't know which one is correct, but my friend also told me both of them are open-collar type.
The M37 definitely had a closed collar, though it could be worn open. See, for example, http://www.lostbattalions.com/german33- ... EMJkt.html

Edpin

Post by Edpin » 02 May 2012 10:57

Ian Hulley and All-Seeing Eye,

Thanks for all of your replies :)
Now in my opinion, M37 is more suitable for field use rather than 'dress' uniform.

Cheers,
Steve :)

Cassius29

Post by Cassius29 » 02 Apr 2016 22:48

Every rank I've seen for Sicherheitsdienst seems to be corporal and above. Were there and regular 'private' ranks? And did they wear the M-34 frieldgrey wool uniform? I am curious would the shoulder boards look like.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 03 Apr 2016 14:36

I am curious would the shoulder boards look like.
Police pattern shoulder boards were introduced in january 1942 for N.C.O's and men.

An example for a SS-Mann rank.

ImageImage
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Cassius29

Post by Cassius29 » 03 Apr 2016 19:24

Von Thoma,

Thank you for replying. It's black on "polizei green" backing? I found this picture online. It says it was for the rank
of "Sturmmann",(lance corporal), the next rank up from private. Is this correct?

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 03 Apr 2016 22:32

It says it was for the rank
of "Sturmmann",(lance corporal), the next rank up from private. Is this correct?
That's correct.
It's black on "polizei green" backing?
No toxic green waffenfarbe, is shown on SS-Mann shoulder boards.
Are black backing then.

Cassius29

Post by Cassius29 » 04 Apr 2016 01:03

Was the M-34 fieldgrey uniform for NCO's men used until the end of the war?

jasper1991

Post by jasper1991 » 16 Apr 2016 06:17

New to this site....hope it's ok to post this here. I am looking for some information on this uniform. I am pretty sure it Polish Army....wondering the rank if you can tell from this picture. Any help would be greatful.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 16 Apr 2016 22:09

jasper1991, this is not the correct place for ID your uniform.
Try in Poland 1919-1945 section.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”