Uniform ID help please

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
spottedcow

Uniform ID help please

Post by spottedcow » 27 Jan 2013, 07:50

I need help with identifying the collar patch and shoulder board in this photo. Can anyone make out the ribbons or that that asking too much in this poor quality photo?
All efforts greatly appreciated.

Patrick
Attachments
whoisit.jpg

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Uniform ID help please

Post by John G. » 27 Jan 2013, 13:14

Patrick,
This guy is a SS/SD Sturmscharfuhrer.....notice the Police NCO-style shoulder boards with the entwined lace....only rank with this pattern......the visible rank tab is "SS" pattern with two pips & two rank braids....which also matches the SS/SD rank of Sturmscharfuhrer. This rank would have been authorized to wear the OFFICERs Visor hat (sort of a W.O. rank)

The only identifiable ribbons are a 1914-18 Honor Cross w/sword and a 25 (or 40) Yr. Civil Faithful Service Cross with the miniture ribbon device....the other....if there are any, are too blurry to make out.....

That's all I can help you with....
John G.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 27 Jan 2013, 13:25

The man is a Hauptscharführer or Sturmscharführer (depending on the number of litzen bars on the wearer's left collar patch) of either the SD or the SiPo. He wears the Model 37 open-necked tunic with the brown shirt underneath.

Here is a clearer image of an SD-Sturmscharführer's uniform

The image and tunic belongs to the legendary advanced collector Willi Schumacher.

Ian

spottedcow

Post by spottedcow » 27 Jan 2013, 18:06

Thanks John and Ian, That is more information than I was hoping for.
Patrick

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”