Looking for Italian uniform reprductions

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
MrFurious

Looking for Italian uniform reprductions

Post by MrFurious » 14 Mar 2002 10:39

Hi there! I've been looking for Italian uniform reproductions for sale online and so far I haven't had much luck locating a good source. Any pointers? After some searching I found the PubliAlba site at http://www.militariacollection.com but a look at their German uniform repros made me wonder too much about the quality of their Italian repros. They don't look very authentic and I think they are closer to costume-quality than re-enactor quality. One other site that used to offer them was http://members.tripod.com/~nembo/uniform.html but it looks like the site has been closed.

Thanks!

Roland Wittekind

Italian Uniform Reproductions

Post by Roland Wittekind » 17 Mar 2002 03:19

Hello,

Yes you are on the same quest a few friends and I been on for a while. And It's not an esay road to tread unfortunately..

First off, let me give you the run down on the Militaria Collection vendor. You are very correct that they are not very authentically reproduced, and very costume quality. Some of there items on the other hand look fairly decent, but I wouldnt bet my money, or the time finding out.

Second, the the "Italian Front" website is closed. Unfortunately the runner, Salvatore Vasta has moved to Poland or somewhere in Europe. And Although his Militaria and uniforms were excellent! He was, I assume, overwhelmed by running it and turning out his COORTE Magazine. Very sluggish in getting things out, and It took a friend of mine almost two years to get his M40 Tunic. He also has some $40.00 or so dollars of my friends money and I dont think there is much hope of getting it back.

I have, with a few fellow re-enactors in the Pacific Northwest Historical Group (Our Webiste : Http://www.pnwhg.org ) have been feverishly looking for a uniform source. We are speaking with some collectors about getting some Uniform patterns and wool samples so we can find a talented tailor to manufacture. The Progress has been slow, but enlightening.

The Italian side of World War II we believe is just as rich and interesting as any other and we wish to fatefully re-create these soldiers in a true and authentic light as we also do with other units in our Club. But It's hard to do without a good uniform source..

Roland

MrFurious

ITALIANI BRAVA GENTE

Post by MrFurious » 17 Mar 2002 08:25

Hi, Roland, I hope you succeed in finding your source. Couldn't you use the M40 tunic your friend got as one of the patterns?

In my opinion, the best way to go about it costs too much money, but if people pool in together and form a cooperative, this could be done: a group could seek out and purchase original militaria from collectors and probably the MAX show in September, and then have the originals non-destructively analyzed for patterns and molds. I think that is how Lost Battalions started, but I'm only guessing.

There are several firms that manufacture custom pins and patches and badges, you'd just need to take them the originals and get them duplicated. Like I said, expect your group to spend a lot of money on startup costs, but after that, you could start manufacturing and seling to other groups as a means of getting back a good part of your initial investment. Hope this helps, let me know what you think. :D

Roland Wittekind

Making Uniforms

Post by Roland Wittekind » 17 Mar 2002 22:37

Hello again,

We will be using the M40 Tunic later on down the road. The Impression that we are pursuing is the R.S.I. Unit 'Decima Flottiglia Mas.' Why this unit? because of its many battalions combat histories. The Lupo Battalion fought on the Anzio and Nettuno fronts. And also Against the Canadians and British in Rossetta. It was also attached to the 16th SS Panzer Grenadier Division 'Reichsfuhrer.' The Fulmine Battalion fought against Titos Partisans in Tarnova is a dramatic siege where a mere 200 Marines defended themselves against over a thousand well equipped and trained Partisans. I am still fairly new to this, but I am learning as much as I can.

We have found a excellent source for authentic insignia, including unit badges, awards and helmet stencils. So that troublesome road is already taken.

Furthermore, Original R.S.I. Uniforms are extremely hard to come by, even at large shows and on the net. The R.E.I. uniforms are a lot easier to come by but that right now is not what we are looking for. The Blouse/Tunic model that we are looking for is the M42 Collar-less Parachutists Uniform. We already have the Pants, but we are also going to need the Field Cap. It really is a game of patience.. Also, are you in a Re-enactment/Living History Group? Where abouts in the States are you?

Thanks,

Roland

IFG

to Roland Wittekind from IFG Publishing & Hobby

Post by IFG » 29 Mar 2002 15:04

Dear Mr. Wittekind,
allow me to inform you that gossiping on line without all the facts and making charges and/or accusations exposes you to liable for slander and defamation, also the site you are publishing on. We're a business that has struggled to fill orders, true, but we do not take people's money, nor have we ever. I think your buddy Mike Iravani will tell you that and that he's very happy with the tunic, pants and bustina, among other militaria that he has already received from us, always in good faith and always informed of what was going on, and about how long the wait will be.

In addition, Mike Iravani's waiting (deferred delivery) was mutually agreed to and "purchased" by us with the offer of extra free items (A repro WWII BDU top and Italian Mess kit, a total of over $200 USD, too bad you failed to mention this). We also notified him of our trip (not move) to Europe (places including Poland, Germany and Italy) and had we any mind to take any of his money we could have easily not contacted him, the way we have, and he wouldn't be any the wiser. The problem was/is a personal one evidently, not business related, because we refused to give you and Iravani the patterns and wool that we worked hard to locate/make, in fact we purchased originals, we din't ask anyone for a hand-out (last time I checked we're still a business and we sell only finished items).

I suggest, and I'll contact the webmaster about this too, that you immediately retract the line about how we are going to take Mr. Iravani's money because we are still in business, and in Europe on business, and still receiving orders; a gentleman who was in fact about to do so let me know about your statement, and losing business is always an imperative for pressing a lawsuit. Our website http://www.coorte.com and http://www.italianfront.com I think will clear up some rumors that we are out of business and "on the run in Poland!"

Mr. Wittekind, only Mike Iravani can make such charges not you. Let him come on the forum and explain how we are taking his money after 3 years of being friends (or so I thought). I await a response which I hope will not be tardy in coming.

Best regards,
Salvatore Vasta
IFG Publishing & Hobby
http://www.italianfront.com

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”