Questions on SS uniforms

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
jason Macfergus

Questions on SS uniforms

Post by jason Macfergus » 18 Feb 2017, 18:34

Hi, I'm currently doing some research on SS uniforms and how they were constructed/put together, both the pre-war variants (I'm referring to the black m32s worn by the ss) and the war variants (the different ones worn by the Waffen-SS during the war such as the m40s to name one). I have the following questions:

1) were black straight legged trousers ever worn with the pre-war black m32 tunics? If so, were there any regulations on who could wear them, when they would wear them, and what footwear would they wear with them(I.e jackboots, low ankle boots, etc)

2) What sort of boots were worn with the Pre-war black breeches, were they riding boots or jackboots, did they use hobnails, would some wear them with riding boots and some wear them with jackboots? Where there any regulations concerning what footwear would be worn with the breeches? What were the height of these boots?

3) How the pre-war shoulder boards of the ss (the ones typically worn on one shoulder) would be installed onto the uniforms. I believe they had a strip of black cloth attached to the underside of the shoulder board, though I'm not sure how they would attach that to the uniform.

4) How would collar tabs be attached to the collars of the m32 uniform? I'm assuming they are stitched onto the collars using black thread, if so, where would they stitch, around the collar tab near the edges or just at four different corners?

5) How would the shoulder boards for the different ranks of the Waffen-SS be attached? I don't believe they had a strip of cloth on the underside of the shoulder boards. How would the general officer's shoulder boards be attached, from what I've seen, I don't believe they have the strip of cloth on the underside, and that they have a small "loop" at the end of the shoulderboards (I will post some pictures if you're unsure of what I'm referring to), opposite the button hole.I'm guessing the ranks of enlisted and NCOs just stitch the shoulder boards onto the uniform using black thread? But I'm not sure how the junior, senior and general officer rank's shoulder boards would be attached.

6) How the blood order medal and its ribbon attached onto the pocket?

7) What were the regulations on where to attach the sleeve eagles onto the uniforms on the Waffen-SS tunics, and how they would be attached?

8) how would the cuff titles be attached onto the cuffs of the pre-war m32 tunics, along with where?

9) how would the pre-war uniform be worn? As in, I believe they had a service shirt at the bottom, then followed by a tunic on top of the service shirt, then a greatcoat? And how many belts they would have worn, would it have been one for the tunic and one for the great coat, complete with the cross straps?

10) Did they wear cross straps with brocade belts?

11) What type of RZM Tag would be found on the tunics, the service shirt and the great coats, and where would they be found, some pictures would definitely help me understand them.

12) were gloves ever worn with the pre-war ss uniforms for parades or special events? Would they be black gloves or white gloves, and what material would it have been made out of?

13) (Sorry in advance if this question shouldn't be in this board, but I believe it should come under "uniform") How were the medals and ribbons placed, where would they have been positioned, are there any regulations concerning its placement?

14) Would there be a sleeve eagle on the great coats for the Waffen-SS, if so, where would they be positioned, is it the same as the tunic?

15) how can I change the piping of the pre-war m32 tunics(I'm not sure if they're called piping, but I'm referring to the silver or black/white twisted braids that can be found on the m32 uniforms)

16) what sort of buttons would be used with the different shoulder boards? I believe it is the screw-in type of buttons for the pre-war shoulder boards, though I'm not sure if it's the same for the Different waffen-SS shoulder boards

17) would suspenders be worn with the pre-war black uniforms?

18) Would the pre-war and during war boots be polished? And for what occasion? And to what extent? (Is it polished till the boots would as reflective as a mirror)

I've had these questions bottled up in me for a while and have turned to asking this forum as a last resort. I've been trying to find the answers to them by scouring the web, the photos taken during and before ww2, and propaganda films, though I haven't been able to find out much. It may be due to me not searching in the right areas, if so, I'd be grateful if someone were to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
"In a man to man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine." -Rommel

von thoma

Re: Questions on SS uniforms

Post by von thoma » 19 Feb 2017, 18:52

Hello Jason:

I answer only a few of your questions.

1-
were black straight legged trousers ever worn with the pre-war black m32 tunics ?
Yes, are a part of equipment.
SS Trousers in black twill for leaders, and SS Trousers in black cloth for men.
Long black trousers with white piping down the outside leg seam.
Walking out dress with black lace-up shoes, or black ankle-high boots with elasticated sides.

2-
-What sort of boots were worn with the Pre-war black breeches, were they riding boots or jackboots
Riding boots for Officers, jackboots for Ncos and Men ( Stiefelhose pants ).

3-
How the pre-war shoulder boards of the ss (the ones typically worn on one shoulder) would be installed onto the uniforms. I believe they had a strip of black cloth attached to the underside of the shoulder board, though I'm not sure how they would attach that to the uniform.
Are sewn inside the corner of sleeve and shoulder of the tunics.

4-
How would collar tabs be attached to the collars of the m32 uniform? I'm assuming they are stitched onto the collars using black thread, if so, where would they stitch, around the collar tab near the edges or just at four different corners?
You can see the stitching in the patch.
Collar Patch.jpg
Collar Patch.jpg (135.07 KiB) Viewed 781 times
5-
-But I'm not sure how the junior, senior and general officer rank's shoulder boards would be attached.
Are sewn inside the corner of sleeve and shoulder of the tunics.
But if the tunic had small "loop", it's not necessary.

6-
How the blood order medal and its ribbon attached onto the pocket?
A silk ribbon with two pocket-flap sections is sewn to the pocket-flap.

7-
What were the regulations on where to attach the sleeve eagles onto the uniforms on the Waffen-SS tunics, and how they would be attached?
8-
how would the cuff titles be attached onto the cuffs of the pre-war m32 tunics, along with where?
Attached in a defined distance between the shoulder and the elbow of the sleeve, the same for cuff titles.
I don't remenber exactly the centimeters.
The book " MANUAL OF THE WAFFEN-SS BADGES, UNIFORMS AND EQUIPMENT" ( Bellona, Watford, 1976 ), contains exact measurements for SS sleeve eagles and SS cuff titles.

10-
Did they wear cross straps with brocade belts?
Never was worn cross strap with brocade belt.

11-
What type of RZM Tag would be found on the tunics, the service shirt and the great coats, and where would they be found, some pictures would definitely help me understand them.
A RZM tag marked D2 for a SS overcoat.
D2    61086.jpg
D2 61086.jpg (37.86 KiB) Viewed 781 times
12-
were gloves ever worn with the pre-war ss uniforms for parades or special events? Would they be black gloves or white gloves, and what material would it have been made out of?
White leather gloves was used.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”