Help ID Unk Collar Device

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
geraldclough

Help ID Unk Collar Device

Post by geraldclough » 25 Apr 2017, 02:36

I'm not at all sure this is Axis, but I hope someone will be able to identify it, because I can only suspect it is from WWII and that it is military. It is a sewn on collar device, metallic piece on a sewn red leather diamond. It is on a leather military style wrap jacket that has no other markings, perhaps because the liner has been removed. I also believe the buttons have been changed to conventional leather buttons. Otherwise, it resembles some tanker wrap jackets. Any help would be appreciated. It turned up in a Goodwill, so no history at all. Its overall quality and condition would seem to place it in about the WWII vintage. Size is very small by today's standards. Thanks
collar.jpg

geraldclough

Re: Help ID Unk Collar Device

Post by geraldclough » 25 Apr 2017, 17:43

I'm here adding more photos, the more clues the better, since this may be obscure and may not even be specifically within this interest group. I can tell you the zip pull has no markings. I no longer think the buttons are replacements. I see some like them on German jackets, although the button style is certainly not unique. I also see that there are apparent holes where buttons were once sewn higher on each shoulder for removable shoulder straps. But you can see more of the construction.
collar5.jpg
collar3.jpg
collar2.jpg
collar2.jpg (84.2 KiB) Viewed 621 times
collar 4.jpg
collar 4.jpg (78.61 KiB) Viewed 621 times

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 25 Apr 2017, 22:17

Pretty sure this is Spanish- probably 1940s/50s....
John G.

geraldclough

Post by geraldclough » 25 Apr 2017, 22:45

I suspected that when I saw that they used the red diamond, but I can't find a thing on the metal device. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a driver's badge. Thanks

UPDATE - You got it. I found the wheel-like device pictured in offering of Spanish militaria in a Madrid flea market on a Facebook post. No other information. But I think that and the red diamond make it certain.
Last edited by geraldclough on 25 Apr 2017, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 25 Apr 2017, 22:56

Branch/Corps of military vehicles of Spanish Army, years 40 or 50.
8268522.jpg
8268522.jpg (37.17 KiB) Viewed 595 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

geraldclough

Post by geraldclough » 26 Apr 2017, 00:31

Thanks to all who looked and thought about. I have been thinking it was a driver's insignia, but now, seeing the last post, I wonder if it isn't a tanker/mechanized insignia. It translated into the metal device with a different impression than above where it brings to mind the idler wheel of a tank. And that makes more sense as a branch badge than driver. It's a very small jacket, even for the 1940's in Europe, probably a desirable size for a tanker.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 04 May 2017, 05:37

Is not a tank driver.
The steering wheel it's for drivers of cars, trucks or motorcycles, mechanicals too.
Tank drivers wear cavalry or infantry ( Mechanized Infantry ) insignia.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”