Very Early war German collar tabs

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Number16BusShelter

Very Early war German collar tabs

Post by Number16BusShelter » 10 Jun 2018, 07:32

Hi, very new here. I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but

I'm putting together a very early war Heer impression. Not so necessarily for a reenactment because I know those guys don't typically like these types of impressions, but I like doing some exercising just to find out as much as I can about history from the real fabric of it. I've got the tunic down, an Atthefront m36 with the proper sleeve height, down to the wrist bone. However, I'm struggling with figuring out what type of insignia to use. First is the collar tabs. I was at first planning on using tabs like these
But after doing a little bit of research into earlier war uniforms, I found out that sometimes, original tunics (or possibly fakes!) would come with collar tabs using a sort of backing piece that the actual litzen would be sewn onto. These would be two separate pieces, the litzen sewn onto a harder wool backing.
Here is an example of a tunic using those types of litzen, on right (from atthefront)
Another, on the right. A heer uniform again
and a pair of litzen made in the same fasion
But doing a little bit more research, I also found tabs that looked like this, with a litzen pattern stitched into the tab almost like a piece of cardboard with wool or fabric wrapped around it.
I also heard that sometimes the backing was placed on the inside of the collar, with the litzen stitched on top, but that doesn't make any sense to me because then you'd just have a square piece of stitching on the top with the litzen inside of it.
My question then, is any of this authentic? It makes sense to me because something like this would make the stitching job much easier on the troops and the manufacturer, and it does seem like something the early war factories would have done.

eindhoven

Re: Very Early war German collar tabs

Post by eindhoven » 15 Jun 2018, 18:48

Welcome to the forums

In short for early war you can use either the 1935 Einheitslitzen on dark green backing with your waffenfarbe of choice or the common 1938 Einheitslitzen which were applied directly to the collar without backing patches, with Waffenfarbe. Some of the 1st Pattern without being sewn to backing material can be sourced adding the mania.

1st Pattern September 10TH 1935 Einheitslitzen are applied on bottle green buckram backed cloth with waffenfarbe
1st pattern.jpg
1st pattern.jpg (38.73 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
Clipboard01.jpg
The November 26TH 1938 Einheitslitzen are one piece and applied directly to the collar
26184_01.JPG
26184_01.JPG (158.98 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
2nd Pattern May 9TH 1940 Einheitslitzen are wartime and simplified the manufacturing process, 1940 pattern, general issue collar tabs with machine woven field-grey litzen and mouse grey branch of service and center stripes. The collar tabs are machine stitched directly to the collar with no backing material are are original untouched factory stitching
H033779B.jpg

If you decide to start collecting real uniforms you will encounter all types, regulation and non-regulation, with even late war uniforms utilizing early einheitslitzen depending on what was available.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”