Estonian SS uniforms

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
godfather3231

Estonian SS uniforms

Post by godfather3231 » 10 May 2002, 23:52

Hello,

What tunic varieties was the 20th SS issued? (m42, m43, m44 etc.)

Also, was the division issued any other countries tunics (Russian, Finnish, Estonian)

Tapani K.

Post by Tapani K. » 10 Jul 2002, 11:07

Hello,

I am really no expert on this, but since nobody else has answered, I'll write what I know. Hope this is not too late; two months since the question. I am at work now and writing from memory, but I'll be back if I find something more definite once I get to peruse my bookshelf.

As far as I know, the Estonians were issued with standard SS tunics. That is, the recruitment began in 1942, so that anything that was standard issue from that date to 1945 would have been issued to them. On the other hand, I do not remember having seen pictures or read accounts of the M44 tunic being issued to other Estonians than Flakhelfers who, of course, were not members of the Division.

Foreign uniforms were not used as far as I know. There were some police and Wehrmacht battalions that used Estonian army uniforms initially, but I assume that they would have been forced to adopt German uniforms after prolonged wear and tear of their own uniforms, which they obviously would have preferred. When these battalions were transferred to the SS, they received SS uniforms although I have seen some pictures of an officer (Harald Riipalu) wearing the police tunic with the SS-insignia.

Also, some units formed in 1944 after the mobilisation were issued Estonian uniforms, nut these units did not belong to the 20th Division although it seems that some accounts claim that they were subordinated to the Division. It is my understanding, however, that these units were subordinated only operationally and never were administratatively part of the 20th.

The two Estonian battalions from the Finnish army returned wearing the Finnish uniforms, but they, too, were issued with German uniforms. However, it seems that some of the men managed to keep at least some of their Finnish equipment although this was strictly forbidden.

hope this helps some,
Tapani K.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”