Named Luftwaffe Helmet Writing Identification

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
dtrsss

Named Luftwaffe Helmet Writing Identification

Post by dtrsss » 06 Jan 2019, 20:18

I have a DD luft helmet.

There is writing in an old script. I have tried to identify it using old script information. I believe his name was K. K. Lippel. Am I correct?

The part that I am having trouble with is the first 3 letters. I thought that it may be an abbreviated rank but I am not so sure after looking at information. It looks like Sls but I am not sure about that. Any ideas?

See enclosed picture.

Thank you.
Attachments
helmet.jpg
helmet.jpg (125.01 KiB) Viewed 834 times

P.J. Gray

Re: Named Luftwaffe Helmet Writing Identification

Post by P.J. Gray » 07 Jan 2019, 00:37

It's Flg. I am not at all knowledgeable about the Luftwaffe, but I would be rather surprised were it not an abbreviated rank, i.e. Flieger, the lowest enlisted rank in the Luftwaffe. Would Aircraftman be the correct analogue?

Also, I strongly suspect K. Klippel is the correct reading. Observe the identical form of the two ''l''-s, a lower-case form.

The script is 'German black-letter', of several names as e.g. Fraktur, Gothic script, opposed to Latin/Antiqua letters. The debate about the use of the two was, I have read, ended by a decree of Reichsleiter Martin Bormann in '41, I think*, condemned as ''Schwabacher Judenlettern'' (Schwabach in Franconia gave its name to a common black-letter type). Prior to that literary works in my experience were printed in blackletter and scientific in Latin script.

If this is all-right in forum policy, it is not that difficult to learn, you might like to have a go. I used an old German grammar that included 'deutsche Buchstaben' and the cursive form (Kurrent, then Suetterlin) as I was the only German pupil at a small school so we had to make do. Neither were required, but I taught myself anyway. You can find dozens of old grammars on archive.org and print off the letters, then pick up a pre-War Kinder-und-Hausmaerchen or something simple anyway for practice.

If not, I notice there is a special forum for ''Breaking the Sound Barrier'', lots of native speakers and better scholars than I.

* As for the effect of the decree, the adoption of Latin letters in time and scale, see a native speaker. I am merely an amateur.
„Ja, die Welt ist nur ein Leierkasten,
den unser Herrgott selber dreht.
Jeder muß nach dem Liede tanzen,
das gerade auf der Walze steht.“

dtrsss

Post by dtrsss » 08 Jan 2019, 00:01

Sir,

Thank you very much for the information. I believe that you are correct. It will be interesting to look into this subject matter even further now that I have more knowledge.

P.J. Gray

Post by P.J. Gray » 08 Jan 2019, 21:35

Not at all -- I hope your studies are profitable.
„Ja, die Welt ist nur ein Leierkasten,
den unser Herrgott selber dreht.
Jeder muß nach dem Liede tanzen,
das gerade auf der Walze steht.“

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”