Insignia with edelweiss, leafs and stars

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
MartinDKDK

Insignia with edelweiss, leafs and stars

Post by MartinDKDK » 10 Jan 2019 00:11

Hi,

We have had this small broche / insignia / award or whatever it is, in the family since 1910-20. We do not know the exact origin but got it in Northeren Germany from maybe a member of the armed forces.

It has some military traits with the edelweiss, leafs and stars, but it might just be a piece of civil “jewelry”.

I figured somebody here might be able to help identify or point me in a direction.

Size is 4-5 cm wide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Re: Insignia with edelweiss, leafs and stars

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 10 Jan 2019 05:58

Hello Martin. Do you mean the two crosses when you say stars? I think they are crossed “ribbons or bars” holding the underlaying cluster of bars together. Similar to the Roman “Fasces”.

Waleed

HPL2008

Post by HPL2008 » 11 Jan 2019 18:22

It has no military connection at all; it's just a piece of jewelry.

The Edelweiß is and has always been a popular decorative and artistic element widely used in Southern Germany, Austria and Switzerland and was used as such long before it was adopted by Austrian and later German mountain troops for their insignia.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 11 Jan 2019 19:51

I agree with HPL2008. Any jewellers or other stamps on the back? Might be helpful.

Waleed

MartinDKDK

Post by MartinDKDK » 16 Jan 2019 12:27

Thanks for the feedback. Yes - I mean the two crosses. Unfortunately there are no stamps on the back.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”