Totenkopf Skull Pin

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
skyy

Totenkopf Skull Pin

Post by skyy » 14 May 2019, 05:01

Hello, this was given to me a few(plus a couple) years ago by my mother. It was a gift from her, and she said it was expensive. At the time it felt very light, and almost cheap.. so i kind of assumed it was fake, and didn't want to say anything to hurt her feelings. Yesterday i was visiting her for mothers day, and she gave me a box of trinkets from the past. I came across this pin again. She picked it up and reminisced on her buying it for me, and proceeded to reminded me how expensive it was. I tried to look into it today. It's unmarked, and after looking into it.. i can't tell anymore. I've posted on a few websites..
i'm leaning towards fake, but i don't even know what i'm looking for.
i'm hoping somebody here can give me some insight.
tyvm for your time.
Attachments
pin ii.jpg
pin i.jpg

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: Totenkopf Skull Pin

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 14 May 2019, 17:42

Suggest do not tell your mom as to the origin of this cap skull, no need to hurt her feelings as her intentions are good..my mom bought me some TR relics as a gift, all were fakes, but I never did let her know.as for this one, I have no clue if it is genuine,still learning after 50 years of collecting, JohnG or von thoma will reply

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 14 May 2019, 23:19

This is a SS visor hat skull. I'm not sure if it's a good one, too many variations for my 70 year old brain to retain.... The front looks pretty good, but the reverse looks cast, without detail. While some skulls were unmarked, most would be coded and RZM/SS marked.
There are other forums where you could check or post for a definite answer, I'd be leary but would keep researching until I had a definite reply.

If real, a significant monetary value nowadays!
John G.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 15 May 2019, 23:11

Sorry, I saw many fakes with this appearance
Skulls with appearance of "Danger of Dead" or "Caution Poison" notices
are not good SS Totenkopf insignia. In this case, the reverse has a
stamped of poor quality, and both prongs are fixed in wrong place.
A hit in upper front revells that was made in a soft material
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”