Need help with M40 helmet paint/removal

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
24th_infantry

Need help with M40 helmet paint/removal

Post by 24th_infantry » 08 Jun 2019 15:41

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post. But I picked up a M40 helmet yesterday. The price was VERY cheap. Its in rough shape, missing the liner and obviously repainted. However I can see the original apple green paint underneath. I was wondering if it was even worth trying to remove the top layer of paint and keep the original paint and any decals which might be there. If so, any ideas on what to use in order to remove the black paint? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rlimike
Financial supporter

Re: Need help with M40 helmet paint/removal

Post by rlimike » 08 Jun 2019 17:51

Maybe try some acetone? I used it to remove silver paint from a helmet. Try using a soft cloth in a very small spot slowly just to get thru the black paint. Good luck & post some photos when you finish.

24th_infantry

Re: Need help with M40 helmet paint/removal

Post by 24th_infantry » 08 Jun 2019 19:18

rlimike wrote:
08 Jun 2019 17:51
Maybe try some acetone? I used it to remove silver paint from a helmet. Try using a soft cloth in a very small spot slowly just to get thru the black paint. Good luck & post some photos when you finish.
I will go grab some today or tomorrow. I'm just afraid I'm going to accidentally remove the original finish. I'll experiment on a small area and not leave it on long at all. This is my first time doing this. I removed paint from a Footlocker once and uncovered the original paint and date/makers mark. I suppose it will be similar but metal rather than wood. I'll make sure I have a few clean soft clothes before I start and a damp one to wipe off any residual acetone left on the spot, so it won't continue to eat into it.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”