Luftschutz Helmet, Fake or Not?

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
D-General

Luftschutz Helmet, Fake or Not?

Post by D-General » 03 Aug 2019, 10:49

Hello guys, I found someone offering this Luftschutz helmet. I would like to know whether this is real or just a fake. Thanks!
Attachments
tc783-0.jpeg
tc783-0.jpeg (28.92 KiB) Viewed 4948 times
"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."(Erwin Rommel)

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Luftschutz Helmet, Fake or Not?

Post by John G. » 03 Aug 2019, 14:31

Not a typical German version of a Luftschutz helmet. Appears to be an French-style Adrian helmet but so many nations used this style it's impossible to tell which version/nation this one is....from the one photo. It's true the Germans used captured helmets for Luftschutz and sometimes military use.... But would be guessing it this is original or not. The decal maybe ok but again would need a direct on close-up to be sure. Non-German Luftschutz helmets are normally much more expensive than the normal gladiator style.
Without more pictures you but feeling is as good as mine.
John G.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 03 Aug 2019, 23:27

Sorry, I don't believe it's a true Adrian French helmet, for me, a modern decal is applied trying to make the helmet more suggestive
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

D-General

Post by D-General » 03 Aug 2019, 23:35

von thoma wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 23:27
Sorry, I don't believe it's a true Adrian French helmet, for me, a modern decal is applied trying to make the helmet more suggestive
So basically, it’s a fake?

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 04 Aug 2019, 01:21

The helmet ( If real ) could be a copy of French Adrian made in another country, Bulgaria for example
In no case, it's an authentic helmet that was serving in German Luftschutz. That makes it fake.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 04 Aug 2019, 02:35

If the nationality of the original helmet was known, at least then we'd known if it possibly is a reissued helmet or not.... Pictures of the liner, decal, etc. would be needed. It certainly could be a reissued helmet and is such be "original" , but no way to tell on this one. The Adrian helmet was made by many nations, this one is not a variation I've seen before..... Which does cause doubts.
John G.

If original I wouldn't consider it a fake Luftschutz..... Just not a typical German version (Gladiator style. beaded M35/40/42, or WW 1 shell). Not every collectors appreciate foreign reissues, but they are actually very scarce.

D-General

Post by D-General » 04 Aug 2019, 11:44

I know for sure, judging by the way the Adrian Helmet was made, it's from Bulgaria. But I'm just really skeptical about the decal.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”