Unknown cufftitle on KM troops

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Lietpold

Unknown cufftitle on KM troops

Post by Lietpold » 26 Apr 2020, 16:16

Hello, a friend and I are trying to help out the museum (not affiliated with them) and indentify the cufftitles found on a few pictures taken on the island of Schiermonnikoog. We are however at our wits end and we decided to seek help here.

During the second world war, Schiermonnikoog was occupied by Kriegsmarine Kustenartillerie assisted by Luftwaffe Luftnachrichten. We have noticed that some Kriegsmarine personnel are wearing a very obscure cufftitle which seems to look like just a plain Reichsadler stitched on a cufftitle.

Do any of you know more about this?

Thank you in advance.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Re: Unknown cufftitle on KM troops

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 26 Apr 2020, 20:04

I noticed they have no breast eagle so not regular kriegsmarine or artillerie unit members. My guess is the Zollgrenzschutz (could be either water or land guards). And considering how close the island of Schiermonnikoog is to the german border it would not surprise me if border guards were used for other duties in combination with the units you mentioned.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zollgrenzschutz

Waleed

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 27 Apr 2020, 02:48

https://militaryrelics.ecrater.com/p/28 ... ctionIsdnt this a Customs Police cuff or some thing some wwhat? Police CXustoms?

Lietpold

Post by Lietpold » 27 Apr 2020, 13:09

Thank you all for the swift response,

it does indeed seem to be the Zollgrenzschutz, especially if we reference pictures from some of the other islands. Funny how we never thought of this as the locals only ever mention the KM and LW who were stationed there. It does make sense that the ZGS are stationed there
as the Dutch government has stationed Gendarmes on customs duty there to this day.

Once again, many thanks!

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”