What is (was?) this belt buckle?! Fake or not?

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Production718

What is (was?) this belt buckle?! Fake or not?

Post by Production718 » 09 May 2020, 13:19

Hello everybody.

Its me again, the guy in charge of a film production team full of people who have NO idea about history, WWII or militeria, but inherited a huge collection of military related items from our predecessors at this studio.

The people on this forum have been so helpful to identify some of these items!

So i have another item that I found in the container full of WWII German things left from the film about German Army zombies.

I know 99% of everything German for sale now is fake, but I always wandered about this item.

According to the label, its not fake. Apparently it was worn by somebody in the German military and after 1945 they were so pissed that the war ended that they continued to wear it on their belt for years, until they were really old in the mid 2000s. I guess they wore a jacket or something so it wasn't visible.

I think its definitely true that somebody wore this item for years. There are two big craters in the aluminum where the belt spikes hit the frame. The piece of metal where the belt connected is about 1/2 the thickness it should be, from where i guess two metal claws held it? And the front face of the item is completely abraded away.

I think it would be difficult to replicate this kind of damage on an item, and for something as low value as a belt buckle it would not be cost-effective to fake. I think
Somebody genuinely did wear this for a long time.

But what do you think of the item? What even is it? What did the writing originally say? What about the numbers on the back?

Real or fake?

Any opinions?
724DFEAE-DC2F-4A1F-AC33-3CEA9C48D76F.jpeg
3B604078-068C-49F0-8534-E94728BC3B50.jpeg

Waleed Y. Majeed

Re: What is (was?) this belt buckle?! Fake or not?

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 09 May 2020, 16:47

Hello! It could well have been used post war. I have seen several “denazified” buckles with erased svastikas but all army. Your buckle has a Hitler Jugend insignia and the wording “Blut und Ehre” (blood and honour). M4/44 is the RZM makers code. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichszeugmeisterei
Here a link to a similar item https://www.aboutww2militaria.com/hj-al ... 4-rzm.html
Hope this answers some of your questions.

Waleed

Production718

Re: What is (was?) this belt buckle?! Fake or not?

Post by Production718 » 10 May 2020, 04:47

Apparently this item wasn't defaced on purpose, it just lost its face from being made of a very soft metal and then years and years of being worn. I guess if worn with a jacket the jacket would constantly abrade it.

When i first read this story I thought it was complete BS and this thing was made in China 3 years ago, but then i took another closer look at it. Its hard to explain but it doesnt look like it was defaced on purpose. Especially considering how rounded / abraded the edges are. If they just wanted to remove the German WWII logo they could have grinded or filed or sanded it off or whatever, but they would not remove metal in the way that happened here. Also the craters from the belt spikes hitting the main body are very substantial, again i guess from use.

The person allegedly wore this every day from WWII to about 2006 - 2010. So about 65 years and thats AFTER the war!

So thats mostly the story I wanted to verify. Not that it makes any difference, but im just curious.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”