Unknown SS collar patch in Balkans

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Arto O

Unknown SS collar patch in Balkans

Post by Arto O » 19 Jun 2020 03:47

Hi,
I think that I already asked this some years ago, but there was no answer. What kind collar patch is wearing the SS Sturmmann at background? There are not two SS runes. Skanderbeg goat´s helmet? The sun design of 23rd SS division or what?
Thanks
Arto
source: AHF
krempler.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HPL2008

Re: Unknown SS collar patch in Balkans

Post by HPL2008 » 21 Jun 2020 09:58

At this resolution, it is impossible to positively identify the collar patch device. What we see is basically just a white blot.

Going by the size and general proportions of that blot, and given the operational theater where the photo was taken, it could be the Skanderbeg division's "goat head helmet" collar patch, but there's just no way to be certain.

(If I recall correctly, there are no known photographs showing that patch in wear - with photographs of divisional members always showing SS runes - but of course that doesn't mean it is absolutely impossible it was issued and worn.)

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 21 Jun 2020 11:35

You might find an answer in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=237858&start=15
Considering it’s Karl von Krempler I would think it’s some members of “Kampfgruppe/legion Krempler“/ss polizei-selbstschutz-regiment sandschak. Sorry, no idea what insignia they wore if any or if they joined wearing insignia of their former units.

Waleed

FlyingStukas

Post by FlyingStukas » 22 Jun 2020 16:03

Hello,

The men are local Muslims from Sandzak and/or Albania. Given that your photo says Karl von Krempler, I'd assume they are men of the Kampfgruppe Kempler. The insignia and uniforms of that division were scarce and not very strict, you can expect a mix match of civilian clothes and German regulation uniforms.

Cheers,
Filip
Cheers,
Filip

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 23 Jun 2020 03:27

Thanks guys,
Yes, maybe we will never know.Amplifying the picture with my high tech windows2000 computer :lol: , I see that the circle isn´t in the middle of the collar patch, and there is something more over the circle. So the circle is the helmet and the something is goat head design. But one can see what he wants to see. The highest resolution is in the link sent by Waleed. Just remembering the photo in Muñoz´s book "The east came west" showing a photo of Indian legion member wearing the tiger head desing SS collar patch.
Maybe one day somebody could make a very high resolution picture.
with regards
Arto

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 06 Sep 2020 07:27

This collar patch was discussed here 15 years ago :) (in the Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger section)

It's a "Prinz Eugen" member, with an Odal rune patch.
PECP.jpg

Cheers,
Ivan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 07 Sep 2020 03:23

Thanks Ivan,
In that picture it is clear, Prinz Eugen.
with best regards
Arto

William Kramer
Host - Militaria sections

Post by William Kramer » 07 Oct 2020 16:10

would be a good Prince Eugene tab for me as well :)

William Kramer
to view my museum and shop:

http://Wehrmacht-Militaria.com

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”