WWI Stahlhelm with Stand

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Nathan Aweigh

WWI Stahlhelm with Stand

Post by Nathan Aweigh » 23 Aug 2020, 23:15

Hey everybody,

My great-grandfather most likely brought this helmet back during the war when he was with the 88th Division in France. It recently turned back up thanks to a relative, but it is unknown what the reason for the strange top device screwed to the helmet is. It is also unknown whether my great grandpa added the device after the war for some reason. Some of the ideas we've come up with are as follows: planter, kettle, or camouflage holder. It also appears to have been repainted a long time ago.

Is there any evidence of this kind of topper being added during the war?

There also appears to be a bullet or shrapnel hole near the rear of the helmet. For the experts, are there any indications of how the damage could have happened? I realize that the condition isn't great, and most of the value is sentimental, but what kind of value would a helmet like this have? Any help would be appreciated.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: WWI Stahlhelm with Stand

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 23 Aug 2020, 23:52

Was used to heat water or cook food,and use as a firepit for charcoal-wood as there were severe shortages of consumer goods all over Europe for years after both wars

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: WWI Stahlhelm with Stand

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 23 Aug 2020, 23:55

Abnd us old timer collectors have had or seen stuff like NSDAP flags banners without the center rondel etc.as the piece of cloth was used for curtains, dresses, clothing, etcand there are mant pics of post war Europe with flags being used a ssuch and helmets recycled into shovels, food and cooking utensils

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”