Uniform smell

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Angus1235

Uniform smell

Post by Angus1235 » 06 Oct 2020, 09:31

I have noticed this very sweet and distinct smell on a few ww2 German (and a couple of old soviet) items I have.

These specifically are
-zeltbahn
-prewar rucksack
-leica camera
-Soviet officer tunic
-Zorki camera

I can only describe it as being sweet and vaguely like wood or coconut.

I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on this old-new-clothing/camera smell, as it is very pleasant and I'd love to be able to replicate it, both for reproduction items and for my wardrobe in general.

I would presume by the fact that both 3R and USSR items having this scent, that it was a fairly commonly used oil or detergent back in the earlier half of the 20th century, all google searches have come up with victorian era clothes washing tutorials, how to remove musty smells, and the fact that German soldiers apparently had a very distinct odour (though I doubt this is the same smell I am trying to pin down)
Searching for Truppenfahrrad parts: Torpedo coaster brake parts, Union-werke headlight, truppenfahrrad handlebars, Torpedo front wheel hub.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: Uniform smell

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 06 Oct 2020, 15:43

Its called mold and fungus guy.You want to replicate the stench for reenactment? Oh brother I've heard it all now

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 06 Oct 2020, 17:56

Angus,

for the restoration of Leica cameras, there are several excellent forums online, most of them in german language...

Uniform preservation is another topic, on the topic of antique books, I have learned from another german book collector,
to wrap the bad smelling books into several layers of newsprint paper, and to store the old books for a long period
in a boiler room...

This was an old recommendation, I would not necessarily practice it nowadays, especially for valuable specimens.

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

gigoo

Post by gigoo » 28 Oct 2020, 02:19

Mark in Cleveland, Tn. wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 15:43
Its called mold and fungus guy.You want to replicate the stench for reenactment? Oh brother I've heard it all now
Granted, this question was a little odd, but I have sat by, as over the years I have read your countless insults and belittlement of newbies asking questions you judge as frivolous. No wonder you were banned at waf. Maybe time to do that here...

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”