Please help identify Generals on the photographs

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
fotonerdy

Please help identify Generals on the photographs

Post by fotonerdy » 13 Jul 2021, 17:03

Hello! I am a photographs collector, I collect mostly Soviet, German and American photos. I ran into these photographs and I can't figure out who the people on these photographs are. The officers near the plane look Italian to me, are they? Does anyone know who the old man with the cane is? He looks like a very important person. Also - the officer in the staff car, what kind of uniform is that?
Attachments
40 copy.jpg
38 copy.jpg
36 copy.jpg

Waleed Y. Majeed

Re: Please help identify Generals on the photographs

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 13 Jul 2021, 18:47

The second image looks like Greek uniforms. Caps show a crown and the national white/blue cocarde. The important looking older officer might be General Alexander Papagos.
He and other officers were liberated from Dachau by the Fifth U.S. Army on 5 May 1945. Maybe the images with the plane shows their “homecomming”.

Waleed

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 14 Jul 2021, 03:41

Ive seen these pics before on an www site.If you remove the fotonerdy lettering I can find them, and an FYI you say you collect photos? I doubt you have these originals

fotonerdy

Post by fotonerdy » 14 Jul 2021, 15:02

Mark in Cleveland, Tn. wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 03:41
Ive seen these pics before on an www site.If you remove the fotonerdy lettering I can find them, and an FYI you say you collect photos? I doubt you have these originals
Hello, thank you! Most likely they are press photographs, I doubt that photographs of such importance would be kept private, so I wouldn't be surprised that they were published somewhere, but the prints themselves are not modern for sure. Below I removed the Fotonerdy lettering, its somewhat of a watermark that I use when I sell photographs on Ebay.
Attachments
40 copy 2.jpg
38 copy 2.jpg
36 copy 2.jpg

fotonerdy

Post by fotonerdy » 14 Jul 2021, 15:04

Waleed Y. Majeed wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 18:47
The second image looks like Greek uniforms. Caps show a crown and the national white/blue cocarde. The important looking older officer might be General Alexander Papagos.
He and other officers were liberated from Dachau by the Fifth U.S. Army on 5 May 1945. Maybe the images with the plane shows their “homecomming”.

Waleed
Hi Waleed, thank you so much!! He does indeed look like General Papagos.
How about the officer in the car? Any clues about him? Yugoslavian uniforms look similar, but I could not find an exact match to that.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 14 Jul 2021, 15:52

Yes, the driven guys uniform could be Yugoslavian. My first thought too but couldn’t find a match. Titos insignia was the closest resemblance I could find.

Waleed

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 14 Jul 2021, 17:44

Found him and NOT in Europe. It’s General, later Field marshal, minister of war and finally President of Brazil (1946-51) Eurico Gaspar Dutra.

Waleed

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 14 Jul 2021, 23:34

I'm still trying to find these, but I recall them in another discussion on another site, some opinion was the top two, with plane, were war crimes prisoners(Axis) being offloaded for trial post WW2 by Allies,which does not make sense , and some thouight one of the guys being off boarded looked like Nazi Rocket Scientist Werner Von Braun and *party* along with others along for ride, so to speak

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”