How to Identify German WWII Cavalry half chaps/leather gaiters?

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Fraulein77

How to Identify German WWII Cavalry half chaps/leather gaiters?

Post by Fraulein77 » 08 Dec 2021, 23:32

Hello everyone,
this is my first post on the forum, but I have been reading through it without an account for a while.

I have recently won an auction of a leather chap/gaiter that the seller claimed that was WWII German. Since everything went so quickly, I asked after the auction the seller how he knew it was German but received no reply yet.. I don't know if you guys know how to identify a German one? The style of the one in question seems to be like those used by the Calvary division.

Below I attach two photos; the one I won at the auction (sorry for the lame photos) and the other that was sold in another auction site as a set of German calvary ones.

Please let me know guys what you think. Do you think it's genuine? Thanks in advance!! :)
germancalvary.jpg
This is the one from an auction, you can see that inside there is a brand (?) name and the size, in this case "42".
photogait.jpg
This is the one that I have won at an auction. Pitifully, I don't have any better photos although I might ask for more.

Hans1906
Banned

Re: How to Identify German WWII Cavalry half chaps/leather gaiters?

Post by Hans1906 » 09 Dec 2021, 03:13

Fraulein77,

the german designation, for what you have shown is "Gamasche".

Link: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamasche

Attached here is a clipping with a well-known photo of the SA (Sturmabteilung) officers from the early 1930s.

The men wore Schaftstiefel, Schnürstiefel, Wickelgamaschen, and also simply Wollstrümpfe with their SA uniforms,
whatever was available at the time.
Only very few members were in the financial position at that time, to buy a pair of Schaftstiefel back then.

Hans
Attachments
SA Stiefel.jpg
SA Stiefel.jpg (159.36 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Hans1906
Banned

Re: How to Identify German WWII Cavalry half chaps/leather gaiters?

Post by Hans1906 » 09 Dec 2021, 03:21

The original photo: (file size reduced...)

Hans

P.S. My grandfather's boots as an officer in the RAD at that time were handmade in Hungary, from ("Juchtenleder") leather, the man was in the financial position to be able to afford such boots.
Very certainly, an exception at that time for a captain in the RAD ("Oberstfeldmeister").

Maybe, I could answer your question to some extent.

Hans
Attachments
Hitler SA.jpg
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”