Skull badge i cant identify

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Malignity

Skull badge i cant identify

Post by Malignity » 19 Aug 2022 14:51

Hello everyone,

I inherited some badges, awards and insignia of my grand grand uncle, and part of these belongings is this skull badge: Image

I know for a fact that he wasnt a member of the SS, but im not sure if he was maybe fighting in the panzertruppen ( tank crew), although the skull seems different to the one tank crews were using. Does anyone know where this badge might originated from? Anyone got any clue?

Thanks in advance and kind regards
Simon

von thoma

Re: Skull badge i cant identify

Post by von thoma » 19 Aug 2022 15:46

Hello Malignity ;

This Totenkopf model ( Braunschweig ) was an officer’s cap insignia for the Infantry Regiment Nr. 92,
or Hussars Nr. 17 ( German Imperial Army ).

During Wehrmacht period was worn as tradition badge, by the regimental staff, I and II battalion headquarters,
1, 4, 13 and 14 companies of Infanterie Regiment 17.
Also worn by the 2 Abteilung and 4 squadron of Reiter-Regiment 13.
And finally also worn by all members of 41st Cavalry Regiment from the 4th Cavalry Division ( 1944-45 ).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Malignity

Post by Malignity » 20 Aug 2022 17:15

Good evening von Thoma,

thank you very much for your fast and very detailed response. How did you find out so quickly? Or perhaps this question has been asked in the past :-)

With best regards

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 20 Aug 2022 21:32

Hello ;

I have many books on the subject ( Military Uniforms ) around me....and I've known that skull for a long time.

Regards.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”