Need help with Italian generals M40 unit identification

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
gumbytoddnet

Need help with Italian generals M40 unit identification

Post by gumbytoddnet » 17 Oct 2022 03:23

Hello all,
I picked up this Italian M40 reduced wartime model tunic of a divisional general rank. He is highly decorated with orders (commander grades) and medals. I was told the pin above the ribbon bar means he went to military academy. Looks like there was at one time something on the left pocket too? Also a makers tag marked Rome. Note the added star to the sleeve rank is personalized I think?

What I would like to know about is the mostrine or alamari (collar tabs)? I believe them to be Granatieri di Sardegna. Funny looking at pictures of generals of the modern day unit. Still wearing same style of tabs mostrine/alamari. The tabs might just be generic for grenadiers? Any help or thoughts. Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gumbytoddnet

Re: Need help with Italian generals M40 unit identification

Post by gumbytoddnet » 21 Oct 2022 03:23

Adding a picture of under the collar. They are the only tabs that have been on this tunic. Ribbons also are sewn to tunic. Ribbons are as follows. Row1 Medal of Military Valor (Silver star), Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus (Commander), Order of the crown of Italy (Commander). Row2 Colonial Order of the Star of Italy (Commander), Medal of Merit for public health (Gold grade),Seniority Cross Army (long service) Row3 WWI Libya campaign commemorative medal, One Two Three Cross Medals (military merit/war merit) Row4 Italian war medal of WWI, Italian Medal for the wars of unification 1848-1918, WWII Africa Ethiopia campaign medal, 1940-1943 Italian second war commemorative medal (Guerra).

The Collar devices to me indicate this uniform belonged to someone in one of the 1st. Reg., 2nd Reg. 21st Infantry div. of the Granatieri of Sardegna? Is anyone able to shed some light to this? Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 21 Oct 2022 23:38

Hello ;

Your research is correct.

Here's another gorget patch for this ( Granatieri ) Infantry branch.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

gumbytoddnet

Post by gumbytoddnet » 24 Oct 2022 00:56

Thank you very much von thoma!

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”