Help Deciphering Luftwaffe Uniform

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Cheatman1342

Help Deciphering Luftwaffe Uniform

Post by Cheatman1342 » 04 Feb 2023, 17:29

Hello,

I am looking for information that might lead me to understand my great-grandfather's involvement during World War II in the Luftwaffe. He was stationed (at least for some time) at Pillau Neutief in East Prussia and I'm struggling to understand how he was able to live through the final days of the war where Königsberg and later Pillau were under constant bombardment until their surrender. The story was that he had some managerial function as part of the Stabskompanie and played a part in continued soldier fitness. I managed to find some pictures of him at (what I believe were) different stages during the war.
The first picture of him standing alone seems to show him as an Obergefreiter, however, I see that he has what appears to be a dagger along with a belt. Is there any significance to this?
The second picture is of his group, unit, division? He can be seen kneeling in the middle of the front row in front of the officer staff. He appears to have a lanyard around the right arm (which no one else has, Kompaniefeldwebel?) and still has a belt and dagger unlike many of the other enlisted personnel. Is there any indication of some of the duties related to his position? Anyone want to take a stab at translating the back of the photo?
Here is an earlier thread where I inquired about his ranks and soldbuch:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=268481
Attachments
Alone1.jpg
Unit1.jpg
Unit2.jpg

von thoma

Re: Help Deciphering Luftwaffe Uniform

Post by von thoma » 05 Feb 2023, 03:34

Hello Cheatman1342 ;
The first picture of him standing alone seems to show him as an Obergefreiter, however, I see that he has what appears to be a dagger along with a belt. Is there any significance to this ?
Yes, Obergefreiter rank.

One of the Wehrmacht’s wartime regulations stated that all personnel were required to be armed when they were in uniform and not in a secure building. Acceptable sidearms included pistols, rifles, bayonets and other edged weapons ( a bayonet in this case ).
The ribbon of its decoration ( Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer ) on the left breast of the Flight Blouse.
He can be seen kneeling in the middle of the front row in front of the officer staff. He appears to have a lanyard around the right arm (which no one else has, Kompaniefeldwebel ?) and still has a belt and dagger unlike many of the other enlisted personnel.
He wears the rare early NCO yellow duty lanyard with silver painted wooden cones.
It was introduced into the Luftwaffe in 1935.
Service Badge cords were worn by officers and NCOs when on duty and engaged in specific tasks, such as Duty Officer, supervising the take-off aircraft, Duty NCO for the Day ( Unteroffiziere von Tagesdienst ), Transport Leaders, Loading Officers, Direction-Finder Operators and their
equivalent ( Peilflugleiter und dergleichen ), and those on duty in telephone exchanges.

Luftwaffe NCO Feldwebel with the Duty Lanyard.
Attachments
Lanyard.png
Lanyard.png (529.48 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Cheatman1342

Post by Cheatman1342 » 05 Feb 2023, 03:55

Much appreciation in your help and information regarding his uniform. I really appreciate you taking a look at it.

-Eric C.

von thoma wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 03:34
Hello Cheatman1342 ;
The first picture of him standing alone seems to show him as an Obergefreiter, however, I see that he has what appears to be a dagger along with a belt. Is there any significance to this ?
Yes, Obergefreiter rank.

One of the Wehrmacht’s wartime regulations stated that all personnel were required to be armed when they were in uniform and not in a secure building. Acceptable sidearms included pistols, rifles, bayonets and other edged weapons ( a bayonet in this case ).
The ribbon of its decoration ( Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer ) on the left breast of the Flight Blouse.
He can be seen kneeling in the middle of the front row in front of the officer staff. He appears to have a lanyard around the right arm (which no one else has, Kompaniefeldwebel ?) and still has a belt and dagger unlike many of the other enlisted personnel.
He wears the rare early NCO yellow duty lanyard with silver painted wooden cones.
It was introduced into the Luftwaffe in 1935.
Service Badge cords were worn by officers and NCOs when on duty and engaged in specific tasks, such as Duty Officer, supervising the take-off aircraft, Duty NCO for the Day ( Unteroffiziere von Tagesdienst ), Transport Leaders, Loading Officers, Direction-Finder Operators and their
equivalent ( Peilflugleiter und dergleichen ), and those on duty in telephone exchanges.

Luftwaffe NCO Feldwebel with the Duty Lanyard.

hannibal2

Post by hannibal2 » 10 Apr 2023, 08:05

German text:
Seefliegerhorstkompanie Pillau.
Dir lieber Emil zum Andenken
Kulm Hptfw. [Hauptfeldwebel]
Pillau 21.6.1941
Translation:
Support company seaplane base Pillau.
For you dear Emil as a memento
Kulm Master Sergeant [Company Sergeant]
Pillau 06/21/1941

As a person, the Hauptfeldwebel, commonly known in the Wehrmacht as "der Spiess", was either much liked or greatly feared by the men of his company. He was often called fondly "die Mutter der Kompanie" [Mother of the Company] who was acting like a benign patron saint who took good care of his flock. On the other hand, he might also be called "der Schrecken der Kompanie" (terror of the company) by showing the behavior of a bullying taskmaster who would come down hard on any enlisted man for the slightest misstep or infraction.

Cheers Gert

P.S. Strange coincidence: The date on the photo is June 21, 1941, which is one day before the beginning of Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of the Soviet Union.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”