Werkmeister and Inspektor

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Michael Dorosh

Werkmeister and Inspektor

Post by Michael Dorosh » 23 Jun 2002, 06:21

I am looking at the birthday list for II./Panzer Regiment GD in a history, and notice the ranks of Werkmeister and Inspektor are included in a list of officers and Beamten.

I am wondering what their shoulder straps would look like.

I presume that Inspektor refers to a Leutnant-equivalent in either a technical or non-technical trade - since he is in a panzer company can I assume this is a technical trade? If so, which might it likely be? The actual citation is for an Inspektor (K).

Werkmeister I have no clue on - I am presuming for no real reason that it is an NCO equivalent Beamte probably assigned to the battalion workshop, but would there be a specific rank and branch of service (or secondary branch of service in this case) colour associated with this rank title?

They also list a Leutnant (W) - any idea what this means?

Also a Hauptmann (Ing.) - I have forgotten what this abbreviation means.

The Oberzahlmeister I have figured out on my own - a paymaster official, with white secondary branch colour, equivalent to an Oberleutnant, and the Oberarzt is a medical officer. I presume cornflower blue piping, despite being on strength with a panzer battalion?

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”