Anyone got a pic of Gestapo uniform?

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Linlu

Anyone got a pic of Gestapo uniform?

Post by Linlu » 16 Aug 2002, 13:58

Hi all,

Anyone have a picture of a Gestapo grunt or officer (or their uniforms)?

- Linlu :mrgreen:

Ken Jasper
In memoriam

Post by Ken Jasper » 16 Aug 2002, 14:31

The Gestapo didn't wear uniforms.

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 16 Aug 2002, 14:55

This is probably as close as you will find to a "uniform" unique to the Gestapo - a metal tag issued to agents (as opposed to informants):

Kent Berg

Gestapo

Post by Kent Berg » 16 Aug 2002, 15:31

The Gestapo, as mentioned above, were not issued uniforms as were the Police. They wore standard suits, and coats, regular civilian hats etc. They only carried the above tag on a string to flash if they needed to. You will see them in the company of police, and they look like the normal guy-on-the-street type. Some Gestapo agents were in fact Police officers as well, or even SS officers, and in those occasions, did from time to time, wear uniforms for those orgs. But not for the Gestapo.

Linlu

Post by Linlu » 17 Aug 2002, 23:28

Thanks guys,

Weird. They weren't issued uniforms? Today I saw in a book a photograph of Gestapo members wearing uniforms with a cap that has the death's head symbol on it.

- Linlu :mrgreen:

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 18 Aug 2002, 00:01

Quote of Linlu:
Today I saw in a book a photograph of Gestapo members wearing uniforms with a cap that has the death's head symbol on it.
As Berfuhrer wrote in his post above, many Gestapo agents were members of other organisations, too. Perhaps you saw a photo of a Gestapo agent who was also a member of the SS.

Remember, the word Gestapo is from "Geheime Staatspolizei" which means "Secret State Police". It wouldn't be much of a secret if they were running around in distinctive uniforms.

One thing I would like a bit more information about is the Geheime Feldpolizei. I understand some of these men had GFP on their shoulder boards.

Does anyone know what the role of the Geheime Feld Polizei was? Obviously with the markings on their shoulder boards, they weren't trying to hide their responsibilities (whatever they may have been)

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”