Unique Reichsleiter Grimm Collar Tab

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Mark Costa

Unique Reichsleiter Grimm Collar Tab

Post by Mark Costa » 24 Aug 2002, 05:26

Included here is a extremely rare scan of one of the rarest of all Third Reich insignias. This unique one-of-a kind Black Reichsleiter tab showed up many years ago at an early MAX show in the possesion of a vet. The story goes that this vet took this tab and some black Political leaders buttons from the home of Reichsleiter Wilhelm Grimm at the end of the war. This tab and the buttons were suppossedly taken from a uniform that was used to lay Grimm out in, at his funeral when he died in 1944.

I personally have never believed this "funeral uniform" story. I find it hard to believe that they would designed and manufactured uniform insignias in 5 days (Grimm died on July 21, 1944 and was buried on July 26) and then take them off the dead body for keepsakes ??!!!

My theory is this. Grimm had special insignias made during the war years to denote his unique status as a "retired" Reichsleiter. The pre-1939 Political leaders tabs had designated black for retired personnel. As the Nazi leaders were notorious for designing their own uniforms, my believe is that Grimm used a non-regulation black color to denote his being retired.

Wilhelm Grimm is without a doubt the "mystery man" of the Third Reich. Although we know alot about him as far as statistics are concerned --such as dates of promotions, awards, etc. no one really knows anything tangible about him. Photographs of him are extremely rare and actual written mentions of him are even more rare. He does not appear in any books, with the exception of one sthat contain a list of Reichsleiters. His name does not appear in any of the memoirs of any of the top leaders or diaries such as Goebbels' or Speer etc. With the exception of being a gauleiter for less than a year in the late 1920's he held no major position in the Party. Even the position he held doesn't seem to merit a "Recihsleiter" rank --- Deputy Head of the Party Supreme Court". And he certainly did not have any special relationship with Hitler to account for his being promoted to the highest rank in the Party. Its as if Hitler took a person out of the crowd and promoted that person to the highest rank in the Party. By 1939 Grimm seems to have been relieved of his position. He is no longer listed as an active Reichsleiter in the lists as of this date. And when he is listed, it always states "Reichsleiter a.D. ( Retired) He joined the Army and served during the war. He was killed in a car accident. There does not seem to be any mention of his funeral in any of the major publications of the time -- although the timing (the day after Stauffenberg's attempt) may have relegated it to the back page.

If anyone has photos of Grimm other than the ones shown here-- these were taken before the war -- or has any other photos of this unique tab especially of Grimm wearing it --please email me. It would be very much appreciated. Thank You.
Attachments
grimm02.jpg
grimm02.jpg (28.58 KiB) Viewed 871 times
grimm.jpg
grimm.jpg (26.31 KiB) Viewed 872 times

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 24 Aug 2002, 13:03

Mark,

Very interesting, thanks for sharing the info and photos.

/Marcus

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”