"Afrikakorps" tunics

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Kenny boy

"Afrikakorps" tunics

Post by Kenny boy » 15 Sep 2002, 11:14

Can anyone help with how to I.D. an original Afrikakorps tunic. I am new to collecting third reich militaria and not sure what to look for. I have recently acquired a supposed original "Afrikakorps" tunic but I am unable to post any pictures at this moment. The only identifying marks are:-The back of the buttons are marked with "Assmann - Ludenscheid (with the symbol A",and stamped on the inside of the tunic is "Marine-Baurat u. Dienststellenleiter"

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Kent Berg

DAK

Post by Kent Berg » 16 Sep 2002, 04:57

DAK, or tropical tunics are easy to tell, first, you have a tight cotton material, in either a tan, or mostly, when issued, an olive green issue color. DAK tunics were open lapel, and tropical tunics, came in that and closed collar, these were used in Italy, and southern Russia and France. Early DAK were pleated pocket style, open lapel, having removable buttons held on with metal "S" rings. They have regular stampings for size, and maker, and date on the inside of the tunic. Usually a bandage pocket on the bottom edge, front facing. A photo would help out a great deal here, West German tropical tunics are a different material, looser cotton, lighter in color, post war copies are very good, and are made with the same material as the originals, post a photo, and I can help out somemore.

Kenny boy

Post by Kenny boy » 16 Sep 2002, 19:59

Thanks for the reply. I will try to get some pictures this week for you to look at.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”