Hemingway's Belt Buckle

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Ezboard

Hemingway's Belt Buckle

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002, 21:25

starbank
Visitor
(8/28/01 10:21:19 pm)
Reply Hemingway's Belt Buckle
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Hemingway wore a 'Gott Mit Uns' belt buckle given to him by his son.

Jack Hemingway was an OSS officer who parachuted into occupied France, was wounded and captured. For a time, he was at the POW hospital in Ludwigsburg Germany where Hauptmann Haas was chief of security. Jack was later liberated. the belt and buckle were sent to Jack in Washington by prisoners at the Ludwigsburg POW hospital. they choked Haas to death with it. Jack Hemingway later gave the belt and buckle to his famous father who wore it until his death.

i'm researching this story and trying to learn more about Hauptmann Haas and the circumstances relating to his strangulation.

i will be most grateful for any suggestions on where and how to look for any information about Haas. For example, there must be an officer's file for Haas. There must be a record of his death.

Help!

tovarich2
Veteran Member
(8/28/01 10:41:36 pm)
Reply Mike Miller call your office -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike might be able to help you out. Possible other members as well, one thing you will find on this forum are experts in the obscure and trival - thats why I like it!

Thanks for an interesting story about 'Poppa'.

-Tovarich.

starbank
Visitor
(8/29/01 1:14:24 pm)
Reply Hauptmann Haas
thanks for the heads up. I know there has to be a file on Haas. just hoping for some guidance and help to find it. i'm a novice at this type of research.

regards,

tom sanders

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”