Commanders 47th Div

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
stevebecker

Commanders 47th Div

Post by stevebecker » 14 Oct 2020 22:19

Mates,

I notice German records show that the 47th Div was commanded by Maj (LtCol) Kurd Schwabe

"With the outbreak of the First World War, Curd Schwabe was assigned to the Marine Corps Flanders, then served in the Grand Headquarters and was entrusted with the management of a German military mission in the allied Turkey. As leader of a camel rider troop he was involved in a military advance against the Suez Canal. When this failed, Kurd Schwabe was appointed Imperial Ottoman Lieutenant Colonel and commander of the 47th Turkish infantry division on the Palestine front. There he fell ill with infectious jaundice and, unfit for field service, was employed as an inspector of the prisoner-of-war camps in Romania, where he saw the end of the war in the staff of the von Mackensen Army Group"

Sites give these officers commanding the 47th Div

Col Tevfik Bey to
Col Süleyman Fethi Bey 1917 to Germany illness 1917 returned date? later KIA 15-5-19 murdered by Greeks in Smyrna

So when did Schwabe command this Div?

Possibly when Fethi was sent to Germany from illness, or before he took command?

Any ideas?

S.B

Tosun Saral

Re: Commanders 47th Div

Post by Tosun Saral » 16 Oct 2020 09:42

47th was at the causasus front. in july 1917 was send to Izmir

Col Tevfik Bey :unknown no information

Col Süleyman Fethi Bey 1917 to Germany illness 1917 returned date? later KIA 15-5-19 murdered by Greeks in Smyrna:
Yes He took C of 47th after Col. Tevfik. seriously wounded. send to germany for treatment. murdered by greeks at İzmir refusing to yell long live grece while he was head of recruiting department in Izmir.

So when did Schwabe command this Div? :
As far as I know never

stevebecker

Re: Commanders 47th Div

Post by stevebecker » 16 Oct 2020 22:15

Tosun,

My Friend Yes I am thinking the same. There appear to be some strange comments mention in his Story, like;

"As leader of a camel rider troop he was involved in a military advance against the Suez Canal"

Possibly during April or August 1916?

I can find no record of him with Ottoman Camel Units unlike other German officers (Bischoff Josef (Pasha) and Mühlmann Carl) who commanded Ottoman Camel units?

Since the 47th Div was in the Caucasus (4th Corps 2nd Army) during 1916 and moved down to Izmir around July 1917 and into Palestine late 1918

I am at a lost when he took command or did he command, as many German officers were Co Commanders under the Ottoman commander.

Possibly in 1917 as he is shown in some sources as

"to Commander 47th Div to German Asia Corps Palestine as Div commander - Filistin'de (in Palestine) Div Commander"

This is what I have on him so far?

Schwabe (Kurt) Curd or Kurd Maj (LtCol)

Deutsche Militär-Mission in der Türkei - shown to camel rider troop he was involved in a military advance against the Suez Canal. to Commander 47th Div to German Asia Corps Palestine as Div commander - Filistin'de (in Palestine) Div Commander 1915-17 (1866 at Münster DoD 9-20) Krankheit (illness) from Brandenburg infantry regiment to colonial department of the Foreign Office to Lt in German SWA 1893 at battle of Hornkranz RTG 1st Seebataillon returned to GSWA 1897 and Boxer Rebellion in China 1900 returned to GSWA 1910 to Marine Corps Flanders 1914 to Grand Headquarters 1914-15 to Turkey 1915 in his book Liman refused to employ him in 1915 RTG illness infectious jaundice 1917 to inspector of the prisoner-of-war camps in Romania staff of the von Mackensen Army Group 1918 wrote book "Die Deutschen Kolonien" and "'Der Krieg in Deutsch-Südwestafrika/ Südwest-Afrika 1904-1906" shown in book by Klaus Wolf

S.B

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”