Full German Officers Name in Ottoman Army..

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
Wolfgang Klaus

Post by Wolfgang Klaus » 27 Nov 2007, 13:07

Mete Soytürk and I have been working since more then one year on a consolidated list. Mete did so far an incredible valuable work in putting all the information together. Now I added my information and choosed a new format in an alphabetic order and also pictures whereever available. It's now a 130pages list of more then 1720 names from all German officers, who served in the Ottoman/Turkish Army from 18century until 1918.
We couldn't solve the challenge to put the huge database online but we are working on that because it is (and will stay) a living document, which will improve with all the knowlegde from the online community.
I hope, you can recognize at least the principle on the attached side - more wasn't possible due to the size limitations.

Best regards
Wolf
Attachments
Offizierliste 19 small.jpg
Offizierliste 19 small.jpg (13.42 KiB) Viewed 13889 times

infantry

Re: Full German Officers Name in Ottoman Army..

Post by infantry » 12 Apr 2008, 00:55

Dear All,
Two pieces of info from my side;
A Turkish History Journal published the Turkish translation of "Deutsche Offiziere in der Türkei, Reichsarchiv, 1940". “Türkiye’de Alman Askerî Misyonu Subaylar-Generaller-Heyetler”, Belgelerle Türk Tarihi Dergisi, 1986-1987
Once in a while there was a special exhibit titled "Turkish-German Friendship" at the Askeri Müze (Military Museum) in Istanbul during late 1980s. I remembered seeing a thick volume showing the pictures and short CV of all German officers starting with Moltke the elder ending with the Nazi era officers (1930s). Unfortunately I could not able to reach this catalog two years ago. The museum curators told me that it had been prepared by the German military.
Regards

Dogan Sahin

Post by Dogan Sahin » 20 Nov 2008, 17:41

Hocam Merhaba

Muhteşem Bir Araştırma gözünüze, beyninize sağlık. Great research Thanks.
Benim İlgi alanım Türkiyede tutulmuş olan savaş esirleri ve yazınızın bir yerinde
"Teğmen Nagel Afyon vo Konya'da. Ayrıca Askeri heyetin Boğaziçi gazetesinde resimler çizer "

Vu çizimleri bulmak mümkün mü ? Özellikle afyon olanları?

I am doing a research on POWs in Turkey anything related to afionkarahisar, especially drawings and photos will be appreciated. Looks like Uberlieutenant Nagel did some drawings..I would love to get my hands on them !

Cheers

Dogan Sahin

Re:

Post by Dogan Sahin » 24 Nov 2008, 18:21

Jochen Kruesmann wrote:Dear Sir,

In Germany there are living 9 millions people of Turkish origin and when I realise the conditions in the city (especially concerning the women) after 25 years of living in our country they are not able (or willing) to speake one German sentence properly. So your arguing about language in this context is really stupid. As I can see you are living in USA. Please ask a normal US-man how many foreign languages he is able to read or write. As a well educated man you don`t have to blame other people that they can`t read Turkish language!!!! So I realise that you have very good informations and please be so kind to translate them into English (!), so that everyone in the forum benefits from it. I have a lots of friends in Istanbul who share my hobby about Ottoman-Turkish Navy, but I never heard such a nonense from them.

About Mahsusa-Teskilat I only can state that they were no "special army force" , but the organization of the Ottoman state which fought and killed the Armenian citizens in your country. I really know that this is not reckognized by official Turkish sources, but it is the true. Ottoman Army was out of scope , but this organization was officially supported by the Government.

Best regards,
jochen
Which Sir you are addressing to Jochen? I am sorry I couldnt understand..could you repeat?
regards

schwake

Post by schwake » 08 Dec 2009, 13:31

Dear Tosun Saral, merhaba!
The photographs are great!
In the picture that shows "Felmy" (i.e. Hellmuth Felmy) the short man on the left, marked by an X, is also a Felmy. He is the brother Gerhard Felmy who served in the same squadron.
The picture with the strange title "Baronesse Veronika von Wechmar and Princess Brigitte" (these wrong identifications stem from your source "I. Dunya Savasi'inde...") actually shows only one female. This lady is not a German Red Cross nurse but an Arab Red Crescent nurse. She is an Arab Catholic nun of the congregation of the "Rosary Sisters" (Rahbât el Wardiye). The patients seem to be German soldiers. I send you a real photograph of Veronika and Brigitte in the attachment.
The picture below again shows Arab Rosary Sisters serving as nurses in a Red Crescent hospital. This picture was probably taken in Hafir el Auja and not in Beersheva (turkish: Birüssabi). Similar pictures can be found in the Matson Collection of the Library of Congress.
Norbert Schwake
Prinzessin Reuss IMG_1558.JPG
Princess Brigitte Reuss (center) and Baroness Veronika von Wechmar (left) with German pilots in Beersheva
Prinzessin Reuss IMG_1558.JPG (60.12 KiB) Viewed 13120 times

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 17 Dec 2009, 18:27

Thank you Norbert for the very good information.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 09 Jun 2010, 12:00

From Tim Travers Gallipoli 1915.

Hauptmann Lehmann(left) advises artillery at Gallipoli.
Attachments
lehmann.jpg
lehmann.jpg (170.65 KiB) Viewed 12978 times

Osman Levent

Post by Osman Levent » 20 Dec 2010, 17:11

Gentlemen,
Long time ago, I had acquired a photo-card of a German Officer serving in Gallipoli. His name is Otto Tschöpke and must have been absconded to the 5. Armee Oberkommando according to the Field Post canceler at he back. Could anyone help me to identify this officer as to his command and rank ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 30 Jan 2011, 04:05

Here's the applicable page in the 1916 Berlin city directory for Otto Tschoepke:

http://adressbuch.zlb.de/viewAdressbuch ... logLayer=5

Osman Levent

Post by Osman Levent » 30 Jan 2011, 05:08

Ken,
Many thanks for your kind help. Osman Levend

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 03 Feb 2011, 23:01

Osman Levent, The post card was adressed to following family by a certain P.Hammer
Herr und Frau Otto Tschöpke
Berlin-Wilmersdorf
Grünthalstrasse 60

Feldpost!
Gallipoli, den 8.5.1916
(?) (...) Habe ich Ihnen denn schon für die wirklich köstlichen Zigarren gedankt? Die sind ja viel zu gut für hier. Denn Sie sehen hier auf dem Bilde, dass ich im luftigen (?) Anzug ausreiten muss und (...) da tut es bei der Hitze auch eine Feld- Wald und Dünen(?)/Wiesen(?)-Zigarre! (NOT: "Feld, Wald, und Wiesen..." bir lafdır, demek ki "sıradan basıt bir şey"). Hoffentlich hat (...?...) meine Frau (etwas) auf meine Schilderungen gegeben und all die Bilder gezeigt. Vielleicht (...?...) auch mal Platten(?). Mit herzlichen Grüssen bin ich ihr guter P. Hammer.

Türkçesi:
(?) (...) enfes purolar için size teşekkür ettim mi? Buralar için cidden pek bulunmaz şeyler. Resimde gördüğünüz gibi çok rahat ve serin bir elbise ile at biniyorum. Bu sıcakta cephe puro ile bir koruluk, çayır çimen gibi. Cephe, koruluk ve çayırlar gel keyfim gel. Umarım Eşim gönderdiğim resimleri ve tasvirleri size göstermiştir. Belki (...?...) plakaları da?
En içten selamlarımla sizin iyi
P. Hammer'iniz.

English:
(*)(..) Did I thanked you for the delicious Cigars? They are too much gut for hier. As you see on the photo that ride with summer clothes. The field with cigars is like a meadow. That's life field, woods, meadow and green grass. I hope my wife have shown you my pictures and photos that ı send to her? May be the plaketts also? With my heathfull salutations your good P. Hammer

Osman Levent

Post by Osman Levent » 04 Feb 2011, 05:20

Tosun Bey, Dear Brother;
I'm most grateful for your translation of this photo-card. It proves, maybe for the umpteenth time that we the humans; can keep our Humanity under the most adverse conditions provided we do not forget the little things in life. Like smoking a cigar under the shade of a tree.
Many thanks again, Osman Levend

infantry

Post by infantry » 11 Feb 2011, 01:08

Once in a while I mentioned about a manuscript "Deutsche Offiziere in der Türkei, Reichsarchiv, 1940" which was prepared by German State Archive Directorate. The entries are very short but authoritive. Below is a sample entry.

Liman v. Sanders-Pascha
Preuß. General der Kavallerie z. D., zuletzt Generalleutnant u. Kommandeur 22. Infanteri-Div., 1913/18 als. ürk. Marschall Chef der Militär-Mission, im Frieden Kommandlerender General türk. I. A. K. u. Generalinspekteur türk. Armee, Im Kriege Oberbefehishaber 1. u 5. türk. Armee u. Heeesgruppe ,,Yildirim", O. p.I.m. mit Eichenlaub. Gest.1929 als General der Kavallerie a. D.

ww1turk

Re:

Post by ww1turk » 15 Feb 2011, 16:26

Wolfgang Klaus wrote:Mete Soytürk and I have been working since more then one year on a consolidated list. Mete did so far an incredible valuable work in putting all the information together. Now I added my information and choosed a new format in an alphabetic order and also pictures whereever available. It's now a 130pages list of more then 1720 names from all German officers, who served in the Ottoman/Turkish Army from 18century until 1918.
We couldn't solve the challenge to put the huge database online but we are working on that because it is (and will stay) a living document, which will improve with all the knowlegde from the online community.
I hope, you can recognize at least the principle on the attached side - more wasn't possible due to the size limitations.

Best regards
Wolf
Where is the weblink or how can we see a copy of this list. I was hoping to find out about Ristow Pasha, 1882-1909? Thanks

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 19 Feb 2011, 00:42

Attachments
Liebert.jpg
Liebert.jpg (83.29 KiB) Viewed 12718 times

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”