SMS Goeben

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
cj

SMS Goeben

Post by cj » 12 Jan 2007 05:13

Did the German government give any reaons for not buying back the Goeben in the 70's???

Terry Duncan
Forum Staff

Post by Terry Duncan » 12 Jan 2007 22:14

I dont think any official announcement was made until too late, in a similar line to the British governmant response to the public subscription idea and campaign to save Warspite and Vanguard respectively. Governments hate parting with money, and any excuse will do. Rather sad as these ships would have been fantastic museums.

Terry

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 14 Jan 2007 16:02

The name "Yavuz Sultan Selim" was given the ship after her registration to Turkish Ottoman Navy. Yavuz Sultan Selim was a Turkish Sultan ( father of Soliman the Magnificent) Sultan Selim anexed Egypt into Turkish Territory in 1517. He fought againts Persians and defeated them in two battles. He took the Holy cities Damascus, Jerusalem, Mecca and Medina into Turkish possesion and became the first Turkish Califf.
He was given the nickname "Yavuz" the Grim because of his hard manner.

In Turkey people name her as "glorious". But for me She is not glorious. She lost all the naval wars againts enemies under German command.
1- Run away from British Fleet with Bleslau.
2- Heavely wound in the sea battte infront of the Dardanelles opening.
3- During the bombardement of Sevastapol no great sucsess.
4- coused Turkey's entry into WW1 and lost of many "Young Crescents"and great territories.

The only glorious event in her life is that she carried the mortal body of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk from Istanbul to Izmit where he was carried to Ankara with train.

Turks love her dearly. Many songs were sunk for her: You can hear the song: The song is in "Huseyni" form, a Turkish music style
http://66.249.93.104/search?q=.....k&cd=1

"Yavuz geliyor Yavuz
Suları yara yara
Kız ben seni alacagım
Başına vura vura"

(Yavuz is coming, cutting the wawes)
Hey Girl I will marry you)

Turks gave her name to new borned boys:
My late brothers name was "Yavuz"

In 1964 or 1965 she was still ancored from the back to the quai of Naval HQ at Golcuk/Izmit. I was one of the happy Turks who set foot on her wooden deck. There were only a sentry guarding her. He permitted me and my late father to enter the ship. We visited her cabins.

Poor Yavuz was made shaving razor.

Yavuz and Hamidiye in 1931
Yavuz in 1931
Capt of Yavuz in his cabin 1936
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cj

Post by cj » 15 Jan 2007 06:09

Tosun Saral wrote:The name "Yavuz Sultan Selim" was given the ship after her registration to Turkish Ottoman Navy. Yavuz Sultan Selim was a Turkish Sultan ( father of Soliman the Magnificent) Sultan Selim anexed Egypt into Turkish Territory in 1517. He fought againts Persians and defeated them in two battles. He took the Holy cities Damascus, Jerusalem, Mecca and Medina into Turkish possesion and became the first Turkish Califf.

In Turkey people name her as "glorious". But for me She is not glorious. She lost all the naval wars againts enemies under German command.
4- coused Turkey's entry into WW1 and lost of many "Young Crescents"and great territories.

The only glorious event in her life is that she carried the mortal body of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk from Istanbul to Izmit where he was carried to Ankara with train.

Turks love her dearly. Many songs were sunk for her: You can hear the song: The song is in "Huseyni" form, a Turkish music style

"Yavuz geliyor Yavuz
Suları yara yara
Kız ben seni alacagım
Başına vura vura"

In 1964 or 1965 she was still ancored from the back to the quai of Naval HQ at Golcuk/Izmit. I was one of the happy Turks who set foot on her wooden deck. There were only a sentry guarding her. He permitted me and my late father to enter the ship. We visited her cabins.

Yavuz in 1931
Turks seem to have a very hard time simply answering the qustion and not going of on a tangent

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 15 Jan 2007 18:17

cj wrote: Turks seem to have a very hard time simply answering the qustion and not going of on a tangent
Hey cj is this your reaction to every kind of extra knowledge? :D
Is cj from Sacremento, California USA seem to have a very hard time simply asking such a question ? Bravo. :idea:

Jochen Kruesmann

Post by Jochen Kruesmann » 29 Apr 2007 14:36

Tosun Saral wrote:The name "Yavuz Sultan Selim" was given the ship after her registration to Turkish Ottoman Navy. Yavuz Sultan Selim was a Turkish Sultan ( father of Soliman the Magnificent) Sultan Selim anexed Egypt into Turkish Territory in 1517. He fought againts Persians and defeated them in two battles. He took the Holy cities Damascus, Jerusalem, Mecca and Medina into Turkish possesion and became the first Turkish Califf.

"Yavuz geliyor Yavuz
Suları yara yara
Kız ben seni alacagım
Başına vura vura"

Yavuz in 1931
Dear Mr. Saral,

You have a very strange explanation about the YAVUZ SULTAN SELIM. Not going into more details, but...

1. She ESCAPED the whole Allied fleet from Meditarrean to Turkish waters. They were not able to catch her. What means fled ??? This occurred under German flag not under Turkish , so out of any Turkish scope!
2. She never was damaged in Dardanelles capmaign , but as early as 1918.
3. She demonstrated off Sevastopol. What do you think: Sinking the hwole Imperial Russian fleet at once?
4. GOEBEN didn`t turn Ottoman Empire into the war, but Enver Pasa and his collegues did. Forget about those tales! It is proven by several sources!

Best regards,
Jochen Kruesmann

Jochen Kruesmann

Re: SMS Goeben

Post by Jochen Kruesmann » 29 Apr 2007 15:53

cj wrote:Did the German government give any reaons for not buying back the Goeben in the 70's???
Hello,
The answer is very simply and nearly the same statement that Terry already told us for the British. In first case it was the missing money but only for the Turks (not from the "rich" Germans), but for the German Government in first place the fear about that Kaiserreich built vessel. You know (or maybe not) during those times in the 1970th everything was avoid to drew attention on the so called German militarism. GOEBEN was the last and very significant subject of the Kaiserreich and although the German Reich unilt 1918 didn`t had anything to do with 3rd Reich the German Government was so ignorant to leave away this really interesting vessels to the breakers.

A very very sad story, because it was so simply to save this vessel.!

Jochen

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”