Western Military Observers of Turkish Independence War

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
infantry

Western Military Observers of Turkish Independence War

Post by infantry » 04 Mar 2007, 14:08

Dear All,
I'm currently conducting a research on American and European military observers of the Turkish Independence War. Many military officers were sent to the different parts of Turkey to conduct surveys or investigations in official capacity or not. Most of them wrote down their findings not only in official reports but also in newspaper or journal articles and of course in their memoirs.

I already found out the materials of some of them like US General James G. Harbord, US Admiral Mark L. Bristol, UK LtCol A. Rawlinson, US Lt. Robert S. Dunn.

I will be grateful for any tips about other military officers who wrote down their findings or impressions in any form.

Thanks in advance

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 04 Mar 2007, 14:28

The later Major General Frank Ross McCoy was with Harbord.
General James G. Harbord, Dr. Christis, and Frank R. McCoy in Tarsus, Turkey

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... arbord.jpg

infantry

Post by infantry » 04 Mar 2007, 18:24

Thanks for the nice pic Peter. I knew General Ross and other members of American Military Mission to Armenia. Thanks to the microfilm publication system of NARA it is relatively easy to get access to Mission's documents.

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”