Population of Gallipoli Peninsula

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
Peter H

Population of Gallipoli Peninsula

Post by Peter H » 04 Apr 2007, 12:41

From 1911:

http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Gallipoli,_Turkey
It has about 100,000 inhabitants...
Is it true that most of those living there were Greeks?If my memory is correct Bean mentions Greek refugees being evacuated by the Allies as well?

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 04 Apr 2007, 20:31

Dear Peter, They were no Greeks but Rum of Anatolia. "Rum" is an Arabic word used for Romans. Rum= Roma. We Turks use this word also. The old population of Rom and Byzanz living in Anatolia are called "Rum". Even the Turkish Sultans were called "Sultan-ı iklimi Rum" which means Sultan of Roman Lands. For that reason it is wrong to call orthodox population of Ottoman Empire "Greeks". After the independance of Hellas in 1827 we axcepped a new name for that new state "Yunan" But the Rum living within the Turkish territory were still Rum.

infantry

Post by infantry » 04 Apr 2007, 21:35

Do not forget the Jews of Gallipoli. The Jews remained an important minority group in Gallipoli up until 1950s. Most of them migrated to Israel and others to Istanbul. I guess their current numbers are below ten.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 05 Apr 2007, 08:43

Ok,how many Greek speaking Rums lived on Gallipoli?

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 05 Apr 2007, 19:51

Peter That's a good question.

Infantry, There were many Jews living in Canakkale also. In Bayramic a town near Canakkale also. The Turkish Jews who were in Canakkale were all tradesman. I beginned in 1947 to primary school in Canakkale. My late father was Chief of Staff of the Canakkale Fortification. There were many Jewish neighbours. In our class we had also Jewish colleages. A jew who was tailor was from Bayramic. My father new him since he was a young Lt. in 1926. This tailor and his family often visited us. Later they imaigrated to Ankara. We met them in 1960's in Ankara also.

One day news came that our Jews were going to Israel. A huge pasenger ship anchored at Canakkale. They all went to Israil crying and sad. Pupils of our school came with flowers to say farawell to our collegues.

Turkish Jews never betrayed their Turkish neighbours. They were always with us in every hard time as officers, medic, lawyers ect.

The Turkish Community in Israil today have still contact with Turkey. They speak Turkish and teach their young ones Turkish.

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”