Marshal Ibrahim Pasha CO 3rd Army

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
Mr Holmes

Marshal Ibrahim Pasha CO 3rd Army

Post by Mr Holmes » 29 May 2007 01:24

Sometime in the first half of 1908, Marshal Ibrahim Pasha was put in command of the 3rd Army in Salonica, having been transrerred over from Serez/Serres. After the CUP uprising, Ibrahim Pasha presented an ultimatum to Mustafa Kemal:
...'Will you let me keep command of the [3rd] Army or won't you? If you don't, let me go back to Istanbul immediately and avoid attacks and insults against my person.' Pointing to the inkstand on his desk, he added: 'This inkstand is all I have here. I'll take it and go.'
It was deemed not necessary to let Ibrahim Pasha go but there was an administrative bungle in which an insulting telegram was sent to the Marshal. Mustafa Kemal explained the situation and everything was alright. But then the Pasha objected to a trip made to Manastir at the invitation of the local CUP committee, in which he was requested to tender his resignation.

Later, Mustafa Kemal was to recall:
'After this'... 'Ibrahim Pasha could not stay on in Salonica. He took his inkstand, as he said, and went away.'
I must be growing blind, since I am unable to find any biographical notes on this commander in Mango's book. An internet search has yielded mainly hotel names and other commanders of an earlier period.

Could somebody please provide me with a short background of this man's life, and more importantly, what happened to the man after he lost command of the 3rd Army? A photo would be a bonus.

As always, thanks in advance,

Nick

Source: Mango, Ataturk, p. 82.

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 29 May 2007 10:23

About Müşir İbrahim Pasha Ataturk mentions in his famous "Speech" Mongo got the quatation from the Speech. If I find in English I will post.
Son of Müşir İbrahim Pasha is Sakallı Nurettin Pasha
http://images.google.com.tr/imgres?imgu ... r%26sa%3DN

Mr Holmes

Post by Mr Holmes » 30 May 2007 13:16

Thank you Effendim for the information concerning the Pasha's son. Unfortunately, I still have no success in finding out anything on Ibrahim Pasha on the internet. Back to it, I guess.

Thanks,

Nick

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 30 May 2007 16:27

Kiosk of Musir/Marschall Ibrahim Pasha in Uskudar/Istanbul
http://209.85.129.104/search?q=cache:He ... cd=2&gl=tr

The kiosk is owned today by Turkish History Foundation as a General Office. According to the page mentioned above Ibrahim Pasha merried to Serife Zeynep Hanim who gave him 3 children 2 doughters and a boy .Fatma Atife, Hatice Saliha and Mehmed Nureddin (Sakalli Nurettin Pasha) His wife died at April 20 1922.
The Pasha died Jan. 30th 1919.
Musir Ibrahim Pasha was a Turcoman from the Konyar Tribe of Konya.
The fountain establised fot the memory of Ibrahim Pasha by his Son Sakalli Nurettin Pasha in 1922.
http://209.85.129.104/search?q=cache:5U ... cd=3&gl=tr

Mr Holmes

Post by Mr Holmes » 31 May 2007 02:21

Effendim,

I realise that records from that tumultuous period are probably very difficult to come by, I'm sorry to have put you through so much effort. However, you have done me great service by finding and posting what you have, including the date of the Pasha's death and the names of the offspring as well as the date of his wife's death. I presume that at the time of both parents' deaths, they were both quite elderly.

Thank you for all your efforts!

Nick

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”