Gertude Bell on the Ottoman Soldier

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
Peter H

Gertude Bell on the Ottoman Soldier

Post by Peter H » 02 Jul 2007 12:06

Gertude Bell on the Ottoman Army,pre 1914,Amurath to Amurath:
Other armies may mutiny,but the Turkish Army will stand true to the Khalif;other armies may give way before suffering and privation and unintended sickness,but that of the Sultan will go on forward as long as it can stand,and fight as long as it has arms,and conquer as long as it has leaders.There is no more wonderful or pitiful sight than a Turkish regiment on the march;grey beards and half-fledged youth,ill clad and often barefoot,pinched and worn---and indomitable.Let such as watch them,salute them as they pass:in the days when war was an art rather than a science,of that stuff the conquerors of the world were made.

May 1911--Urfa--"The town was in a great state of excitement because of the arrival of a division of infantry on their way from Diarbekr [Diyarbakir] to Yemen - whence few of them will return, poor dears. I could see them marching in along the road and when they neared their camp, which is in the plain below mine, I rode down and photographed their arrival."

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 02 Jul 2007 12:19

Other armies may mutiny,but the Turkish Army will stand true to the Khalif...

Are there any recorded instances of mutiny in units of the Ottoman Army in the 19th or 20th Century?

Was the death penalty enforced?

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 03 Jul 2007 14:09

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”