ottoman "thunderbolt" troops

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
Chavusch

Post by Chavusch » 02 Sep 2006, 15:35

Mehmet Fatih wrote:
Chavusch wrote:Everyone could see some very well made replicas here.

http://WWW.usa-ima.com
Sarge, the link is dead.
try this now

http://www.ima-usa.com/index.php

Chavusch

Post by Chavusch » 02 Sep 2006, 15:37

Wow thats great many thanx Cristiano

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 03 Sep 2006, 22:44

Hi Cristiano,
Thanks for that link. I don't think I'd ever seen a genuine Turkish Kabalak before, let alone four of them!
Cheers
Chris

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 04 Sep 2006, 10:02

Okay. I actually found the book I first mentioned a couple of years ago. I don't have it with me.

It was a library book, The photo of the helmets is best described like this. Imagine a viking helmet with two "wings" sticking straight out, not back, that look like double bladed axe heads. The photo caption said something about "thunderbolt troops."

From memory, the book was either written by Ambassador Moergenthou, "Secrets of the Boshporus", or by his deputy, "Eisenstein", something like that. The second book was tilted, something like, "More secrets of the Boshorus". I know this isn't helpful. Let me try to track down that book again.

Sorry, I've been away for a long time. I don't know where I wrote down the title of that book.

If anyone lives near The Citadel, a military school in South Carolina, the book should still be in that library. It is an original first edition print. That is where I first saw the photo of the the "Thunderbolt Troops".

Grasping at straws.....

Joel

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 04 Sep 2006, 11:20

I doubt if there was anything special about the Yildirim Corps.It was basically some good divisions brought together at Aleppo to recapture Baghdad in late 1917.The idea was pushed by the Germans with many Turkish doubters--- the Palestine front was seen as more a priority,

My understanding is that it was named after Bayazid I,the 14th Century Ottoman ruler who earned the nickname Thunderbolt for his whirlwind advances back and forth across the Empire

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 04 Sep 2006, 12:02

Chavusch wrote: I sent some correction letter to the sellers for more explanation,Sajdah things was used for reason and my personaliy opinion is wrong and non sense< u can take off and pray ..right? , there was two type Turk specified and designd helmet first one just same as German M15-16-or let say WWI and II type but cut off sun visor , and this pictured type types specialy designed and produced Damscus Turk Group Armis needs, which is lightweight for special speed needing Turkish infantry and Cavallry in hot desert climate , Normaly Turks used sun visored helmets and they were Islam to make Sajdah so I beleive that there is no reason for belive this rumors , today u can c them easly check it out Mehterean Company of Turkish Military Museums of Istanbul...< Ottoman Militaryt bands there r two Sipahi which is Flag Guards and walked on the front line ..both fully armored and wearing a Selchuck type sun visored old Middle age type copper or brass made helmets..

Finaly 3 type helmets used in Ottoman battale fields in WWI ,

1-M15-16 type German-Austrain helmets , some of tehem with strin plated < extra protection for MG crews and snipers< check it ourt Ankara Anafartalar Mehmetcik statue and Mudanya piece talks honor guards pictures.>
Tosun posted a photo of one being worn by a Turkish soldier postwar

http://forum.axishistory.com/files/alma ... er_709.jpg

.If issued they were extremely rare.Even the German Asienkorps were not issued helmets for service in the Middle East.

2- Same helmets with cut off sun visor types< only made 5800 piece > those r made by Germans as proto type for better using the gas masks! lately passed to Ottomans

My source states 5,400 made.However they never reached Turkey.These helmets were actually available from around 1916/17 but the Turks disliked its design and refused to take them.Stocks held in Germany were then issued to the Freikorps in 1919.

Visorless fakes sometimes appear on Ebay.Cut off the visor and hey presto.The Norwegens also acquired stocks of German M16 helmets after 1945 and cut off the visors "in order to make them look different".Sometimes these appear as Turkish helmets as well.

3- Special designed Damas helmets for Ottoman used only for lightwighting reasons< many captured after surroundet Ottoman forces in todays Syria and sold by British to film industries and used by films as some Jap. helmets in WWII pacific theatres.
Yes, the full visor Model 1918 as shown here.Source:Helmets of the First World War,Michael Haselgrove & Branislav Radovic.

Something like 56,000 were made according to one source.Some were actually produced in Turkey--these lacked the rolled edge of the German version.However even this low number meant that most likely only one in 50 Turkish soldiers ever wore a helmet.

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”