Ataturk and Turkish marriage laws

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
Balrog

Ataturk and Turkish marriage laws

Post by Balrog » 28 Jun 2016, 15:31

Hello, I read that Ataturk changed the laws in Turkey and allowed Muslim women to marry non-Muslim men. I'm curious, does anyone have any information on early cases of these types of marriages?

Ataturk used to take things into his own hands regarding "modernity" such as adopting girls and then helping them join the Turkish air force. Did Ataturk ever encourage any Muslim women to marry non-Muslim men?

Also, what happened to Turkish men with more than one wife after the declaration of the Turkish Republic? Did a lot women divorce husbands with more than one wife? Didn't Ataturk outlaw polygamy?

AJFFM

Re: Ataturk and Turkish marriage laws

Post by AJFFM » 29 Jun 2016, 01:42

Seeing that he oversaw the religious cleansing of Anatolia from its non-muslim inhabitants (which was not his fault) I doubt there was much intermarriage. It was a cosmetic procedure.

Polygamy, which was rare anyway and concentrated among the Kurdish and Arab populations especially the wealthy and notables among them, was indeed outlawed.

Balrog

Re: Ataturk and Turkish marriage laws

Post by Balrog » 29 Jun 2016, 16:19

What happened to men with more than one wife? Were they forced to divorce?

I wondered if Ataturk encouraged Muslim girls marry Westerners?

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”