General Merten

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
Flosshilde

General Merten

Post by Flosshilde » 28 Oct 2017, 09:36

Looking back at this time and I see my name sake was in command of the Batteries covering the narrows and approaches at Gallipoli. Also my distant relative ,also Merten served towards the end of the campaign in the Australian Army and was later killed at Pozieres on the Western Front. He was the grandson of Dr Merten of Truo who was brought out from Germany ( Rathenow) to minister to the German settlers in the Barossa Valley , South Australia. Interesting two Merten's on opposing sides. What makes me think they may have been related is that General Merten was not a 'Von' and also that Dr Merten had served in the Prussian army medical corps befor emigrating in 1865. Hard to find a link this far on in time but.........

stevebecker

Re: General Merten

Post by stevebecker » 29 Oct 2017, 01:50

Mate,

I check my list of German s with the Ottoman Army and found this bloke;

Merten LtCol Fortress Comand Gallipoli ADC to Weber 1915

I am sorry but I have not more details on him, if you can fill in any gaps?

There was also this man but again I am unsure who he is?

Merten Adm Naval Çanakkale Bogazi tahkimatlari komutani

Unless you can convent this Turkish I am unsure what he was doing and if they are the same man?

As to Australians from South Australia I have this man;

MERTEN William Percival 6494 Pte 1 ASH 12R tos CSqn/7 LHR 1-16 shown to Sig Course 9-16 to Spr 2 LH Sig Troop 10-16 WIA 6-11-17 R/thigh accident kicked by horse rtn 2-18 shown WIA 15-7-18 minor (possibly WIA 14-7-18) reported wounded with Sig officer when 2 LH Bde HQ shelled at Abu Tellul to L/Cpl 1-19 to T/Cpl 3-19

Relieving stationmaster 26 from Angaston SA Enlisted 27-8-15 RTA 28-6-19

His wounding at Abu Tellul was during the German/Ottoman attack on the 1st LH Bde (Anzac Mounted Div) where the 2nd LH Bde was sent to help.

Cheers

S.B

Flosshilde

Post by Flosshilde » 17 Nov 2017, 10:47

The first two Merten (probably the same man) you have came out from Germany with group of marine gunnery and coastal fortification experts. He was an Admiral but for the campaign he was a vice admiral and his was a 'laision' position.
The second (Angaston SA ) is the grandson of Dr Merten of Truro SA. I didn't know he was wounded at Gallipoli though. He is listed on the memorials at Truro and Angaston.
Thanks for the extra info.
Floss

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 18 Nov 2017, 01:57

Mate,

Sorry "NO" Bill Merten was not on Anzac, while he shows he served with a hosp unit (1 Australian Stationary Hosp) which did serve (ran its hosp) on the island of Mudros during that campaign, Bill appears not to have been with that unit during that time instead he went straight to the 7 LHR in Egpyt after the Gallipoli campaign.

He was wounded in 1918 at the battle of Abu Tellul. where a large German force with Ottoman units attacked the LH north of Jericho, and got chopped up by our LH and most of the Germans were killed or captured.

Thank for the info on Adm Merten, he is shown as both Adm and LtCol of staff of Webber during 1915.

Cheers

S.B

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”