Turkish Naval Officer PoW in UK

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
stevebecker

Turkish Naval Officer PoW in UK

Post by stevebecker » 04 Jun 2018, 01:56

Mates,

A question was asked about this Ottoman officer, does anyone known his name or how he became a PoW?

"quote from the above:
"Officers' camps emerged as the war progressed, most famously at Donington Hall in Derbyshire, which attracted much negative attention in the House of Commons and the British press because of its allegedly luxurious conditions. A large, old castle dating from the 17th century, surrounded by a lovely old park, it opened as a camp at the beginning of 1915. In June 1916 it held 102 military officers, thirty-nine naval officers, fifty military orderlies and one naval orderly, and three civilians. Of these ninety-eight army officers and thirty-eight naval officers were German, four army officers were Austrian, and one naval officer was a Turk while all of the civilians and orderlies were German. Other officers' camps included Dyffryn Aled, Holyport, Kegworth and Colsterdale."

Any ides

S.B

turcoscot

Re: Turkish Naval Officer PoW in UK

Post by turcoscot » 04 Jun 2018, 21:53

Just a guess, but weren't there Turkish crews in the UK sent to take over the two dreadnoughts that the British had built for the Ottoman Navy and then seized at the outbreak of war? What happened to them after the ships were seized - were they repatriated?

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 05 Jun 2018, 02:19

Mate,

Possibly but since the war started before The Ottoman Empire entered the war I don't see this as an answer

Cheers

S.B

turcoscot

Post by turcoscot » 05 Jun 2018, 02:51

You're right - bad guess on my part.

Reha

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 06 Jun 2018, 01:42

Mates,

A British researcher has found he maybe the Turkish prisoner a Commander Hakim

He is now checking to see who and where Commander Hakim was captured and any other details on him.

I look forward to see what he finds.

I could find no Ottoman officer shown by that name as "Hakim", while Hakki is coman

Cheers

S.B

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 08 Jun 2018, 10:52

He s not a crew of two dreadnoughts. The crew returned home safely. He must be a Turkish naval officer serving at german navy. Many turkish CO, NCOs and men were training on german ships. He must be taken POW at west front on sea with other germans if you search how whenn and whrere those germans taken POW may be we get an answer. If he was taken POW at Canal or Palestina he would have imrisoned in Sidi beşir pr,son camp in egypt :)

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 09 Jun 2018, 02:04

Tosun,

Yes I can't see any Ottoman officer being sent to the UK, the closest was Malta and as far away as Burma.

We have to wait to see what the POW report gives us.

Cheers

S.B

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 10 Jan 2019, 21:39

He is Naval Staff officer Ahmet Hakim Bey.
rank unknown may be yüzbaşı Leutnant zur See
we see him on 4:17 in a very short periot
https://film.iwmcollections.org.uk/record/3183
I could find no more

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 12 Jan 2019, 00:41

Tosun,

Thank you

I tried the site but could not see it?

I passed it on to the man who wanted to know, so we wait to see why he wanted that information.

Cheers

S.B

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 02 Mar 2019, 02:31

This thread intrigued me to do some searching and I came across a reference where each officer prisoner should have an entry in the PRO as to details of his capture. Well just FYI.

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 18 May 2019, 17:07

Hello Steve,

This is an intriguing topic. Thought to ask if how the officer was captured has come to light?

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 19 May 2019, 00:52

Felix,

Mate from what I remember it was on another site but included;

"There's a letter/report from the US embassy to a Mr Page (at the FO) on 24, June 1916

see https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... 1up;seq=41

which refers to this prisoner, however no name is given"

and

"Ditto-John There is likely to be material on Commander Hakim in the Foreign Office files in the series FO383-which deals with Prisoner of War matters. There are several likely looking files popping up on "Discovery", the TNA search engine. However, the likeliest source of a bit more info is the printed sets of FO indexes-done year by year- in which his name might appear.

I expect the 1 Turkish prisoner noted above is your man-with the caveat that a "British camp" is not the same as a"camp in Britain"- a graze of Discovery, for instance, shows that Turkish officer prisoners were kept at Malta.at least, and there would have been others in Egypt and -certainly-at Basra.

The trick now is to find which year and how captured- I can look up the FO printed vols. when next at Kew.

(By way of "vice versa"- a little family tale-My grandfather was a black-haired CPO, RN at Gallipoli- he went onshore from his ship on some official errand and was arrested as a Turkish spy due to his dark complexion.) Your man should show up- at a guess I would say he was taken POW early on in the war."

I am sorry to say that where it ended without any more being found, othe then what Tosun found on him?

If you can get further I would also like to known about Commander Ahmet Hakim Bey

Cheers

S.B

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”