Ottoman ship Intibah in action Dec 1915

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
stevebecker

Ottoman ship Intibah in action Dec 1915

Post by stevebecker » 19 Sep 2020, 23:16

Mates,

What do you have on the action by the Ottoman Mine layer Intibah around Dec 1915?

Rudat Johannes Funktelegraphie Obergast Marine I. Matr-Div, 8. Komp - Sdr-Kdo (Sonderkommando) Ottoman Mine-laying ship "Intibah" 1915- (born at Berszienen KIA 7-12-15) bei Gefecht mit U-Boot (in combat with submarine) in sea of Marmara grave at Tarabya Istanbul

Schmidt Franz Ob Matrosen Marine II. Matr-Div., 1. Abtl.- Mine-laying ship "Intibah" 1915- (born at Klein Stepenitz KIA 7-12-15) bei Gefecht mit U-Boot (in combat with submarine) in sea of Marmara grave at Tarabya Istanbul

The only action is shown by the Britsh Sub E 11

Which records

"a despatch vessel coming out of port" near town of Gallipoli - in action for two days, "finally leaving her on fire fore and aft on the north shore of Marmara Island." No date given for the latter, but it was before 10th December when they met E2"

Accounts give'

"As according to the E.11 patrol report, the dispatch vessel (engaged by gunfire at 12:10 p.m. on 8th December and left on fire) had two masts and two funnels".

I could find no account by the Ottoman crew of the ship, was it the "Intibah"

Were only two Germans lost, were there Ottoman sailors also lost?

Any details would be interesting

Cheers

S.B

stevebecker

Re: Ottoman ship Intibah in action Dec 1915

Post by stevebecker » 21 Sep 2020, 01:23

Mates,

I found some thing of this action in "The Ottoman Steam Navy 1828 1923" by Langensiepen and Guleryuz

reported 1 KIA in gun fight with British Sub E 11 off Sarkoy

Clearly there were two Germans killed here so the other may have died from wounds

Good book to check a number of small actions out.

S.B

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”