1st Light/Hunter Battalion (Avcı taburu)

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
stevebecker

1st Light/Hunter Battalion (Avcı taburu)

Post by stevebecker » 22 Oct 2020, 23:28

Mates,

I notice this unit shown in fighting a the Battle of Sardarabad?

Different sources give

Forming part of the 36th Turkish Division moving towards Alexandropol-Yerevan were the 106th, 107th and 108th Infantry Regiments, one rifle battalion, two artillery divisions. The Turkish army was further supported by a separate cavalry regiment and another one of 1,500 Kurdish fighters. The Turkish forces were a total of 7,500 – 10,000 soldiers and officers, including the Kurds. The Turks had 40 cannons at their disposal."

or

Turkish forces engaged near Sardarapat in late may 1918 were:
Zihni Bey detachement (imrovised infantry/acavalry?), reinforced by 1st Light/Hunter Battalion (Avcı taburu) ?
108 IR from 36. Caucasian Division
Hamci Hamdi bey detachement (probably impovised battle goup from 36 Cauc. ID sent for help to Zihni bey).
36 CID was a part of I Caucasian Corps under Kazim Karabekir and part of a larger organizations (Army group commanded by Jakub Sevki Pasa) and 3rd army.
Other divisions were engaged against main Armenian Corps and Andranik's group - 5TH, 9TH I 11TH DIVISIONS"

Its an area I've not looked at so I am unsure of the unit shown, I have little on the 36th Cau Div and the advance on Baku during 1918?

Can you fill in some gaps

S.B

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”