Unknow Turkish Hero:Mustafa Ertugrul

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
Tolga Alkan

Unknow Turkish Hero:Mustafa Ertugrul

Post by Tolga Alkan » 30 Sep 2004, 22:30

Yüzbaşı(Captain)Mustafa Ertuğrul was the first gun commander in the world's navy and military history who destroyed battle ships with artillery fire from land.On the date of 11 January 1917,he destroyed the British aircraft carrier "Ben My Chree" near Melis.On the same day some ship was put out of action by his fire.In addition to his victories,he destroyed French ships Paris II and Alexandra in Kemer coast.After sunk of battleships,he and his crew gave aid to survived crews of ships.This act of humanity explained to French community via newspapers by Pierre Lotti.

He also saw actions in Gallipoli to Turkish War of Independence.British occupation force didn't capture his artillery guns because they already fully respected to his actions.He and his crew fought with their legendary guns in the Turkish War of Independence.

His name was unknow to community until divings to ruins of Paris II in Kemer sea 1995.Several times ago,a Turkish popular magazine published his story with using his own manuscript and drawings about his actions.It was said that he was very gentlemen and lowly person and he wrote his experiences by wishes of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.However,he never published his experiences.

Finally,his story is covered in a book consisting of full of his drawings of how he destroyed battleships and whole story.Books is called "Ben Bir Türk Zabitiyim : Batıktan Çıkan Kahraman Mustafa Ertuğrul" which can be translated to English as "I'm a Turkish Officer.Ascending Hero from sunken,Mustafa Ertuğrul." I hope it will be published in english soon so many people will able to read this real hero(Same publisher released some Turkish books in English in the past,titles like Gallipoli and Korea).I really impressed when I first read his story in that mentioned magazine and now I'm glad to see it has released in book format. Now he is being considered as one of the best national hero in the Turkish history.

Best Regards
Tolga Alkan

P.S.:Here,offical website of book in Turkish.Try clicking to framed interesting photos on left side of site for large view.

http://www.mustafaertugrul.com/
Attachments
me.jpg
me.jpg (17.58 KiB) Viewed 3872 times
Last edited by Tolga Alkan on 30 Sep 2004, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

Mehmet Fatih

Post by Mehmet Fatih » 30 Sep 2004, 22:56

Thanks Tolga!!

I have heard about this hero but i didnt have deep info about him.I will order the book soon.

Regards

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 30 Sep 2004, 23:40

I forgot to mention,book contains a bunch of photos of him and his crew from World War I era to civil life,included with the French POWs that they helped to survive from destroyed ships.

Best Regards
Tolga Alkan

David C. Clarke

Post by David C. Clarke » 01 Oct 2004, 03:16

This is fascinating Tolga! So little is known about the Turkish fighting man in WWI and I hope that this book becomes available in English.

Just so you know, Ben-My-Chree was a fascinating ship, being one of the very first Seaplane Carriers in the world. The name means "Woman of My Heart". She was one of six cross-Channel ferries taken over by the Royal Navy to convert to seaplane carriers. Her specs were:

Displacement: 3888 tons
Length: 119.35m
Beam:14.19 m
draught: 4.63 m
speed: 24.5 knots
armament: 2x12 pdrs., 2x3 pdr. AA
airplanes: 6(2 carried as frames only) Short 184 Seaplanes
crew: 250

She commissioned on January 2, 1915 and arrived in the Eastern Mediterranean in June. At Gallipoli her planes were credited with sinking at least one Turkish supply ship. She operated her planes not only in Gallipoli, but also of Palestine, Sinai and Yemen as well as in the Aegean against Bulgarian forces.
My source says that she was hit on January 8, 1917 by Turkish shore batteries off Castelorizo on the Southern Coast of Asia Minor. She burned for two days then sank at her moorings.
Now, thanks to Tolga, we know the name of the man who commanded those shore batteries and his story is at least available.

Best Regards,
David

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 01 Oct 2004, 10:02

Hi David,

Thanks you for information about Ben-My-Chree.I have really hope to English translation of book.The Publisher has already translated some very interesting titles like diaries of two officers.

Now,I'm going to write more information about him,informations based on the book and Atlas Magazine issue number 114.

Mustafa Ertuğrul made detailled drawings on destroying and sunking of Paris II.According to them,the French battleships Paris II and Alexandra were moving to Ağva harbor without knowing that they fell down in ambush which was planned by Mustafa Ertuğrul.Mustafa Ertuğrul firstly aimed Paris II.At that time,Paris II was at distance of 800 metres to Mustafa Ertuğrul's gun.After some salvo of his gun,Paris II was put out of action.Meanwhile,Alexandra had chance to move out from action.However she would fall down in another ambush of Mustafa Ertuğrul.

Alexandra was now more carefully,trying to be away from coast.But she did very big fault and she connected a Turkish sailing ship which was containing orange. In fact ,Mustafa Ertuğrul had put 75 kg of TNT to sailing ship and covered them with orange bins,it was a decoy!There was a big blast while orange bins being tranpored to Paris II."After one second,a black column covered the picture" said Mustafa Ertuğrul in his manuscript.Soon after,wind removed smoke of 75 kg of TNT and then they saw a big hole on water part of Paris II.At first she turned down to side and then totally sank.

It was a short story of how he destroyed Paris II.His drawings describe actions very well,he was also very good at making drawings I can say.They are fantastic!

A few note about his late life,married with daughter of his commander Şefik Bey(Şefik Aker).This outstanding gun commander died in Antalya,1968.

Best Regards
Tolga

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 01 Oct 2004, 22:28

And here one of the well known photograph of Ben My Chree,

Best Regards
Tolga

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 05 Nov 2005, 14:46

Turkish history is the story of live secrifice and full of heros. Here is another one: Artillary Soldier Sait from Havran
Sait was one of the artillary soldiers of Mecidiye Fortification on Asian part of Dardanelles. The Mecidiye Fortification was build during the reign of Sultan Mecit some 100 years ago. The guns of the forticication were all Krupp. On the morning of March 18th 1915 the Turkish fortifications both on European and Asian side was bombed by 38 cm shells of the battleship Queen Elizabeth from 14000 kms distance at 11:30 O'clock. Queen Elizabeth bombed in every mimute 500 kg shells and dameged Turkish forticications. Mecidiye battary was also heavily dameged. Almost every soldier was killed or wounded. The Krupp Gun was also demaged. After this bombardement the allied fleet sailed to the Dardanelles to cross the Strait to Istanbul. Sait was one of few who stayed alive. The lift which was used to carry the heavy shell into the canone was dameged. Sait lifted a heavy shell by saying "Allahu ekber" Allah is Great, and inserted it into the canone and fired. The shell hit directly the battleship Ocean. In a few minutes Ocean was history. Sait promoted to corporal for his bravery in battlefield. Corporal Sait served under the command of Mustafa Kemal during the war of independance. (1919-1922) He died in 1939 in his village Havran. His children are still living in Havran.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/6413c/#TL

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 19 Aug 2006, 12:54

Capt. Mustafa Ertugrul in 1927
Attachments
Yzb Mustafa Ertugrul.jpg
Yzb Mustafa Ertugrul.jpg (9.78 KiB) Viewed 3304 times

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 20 Aug 2006, 09:56

Mates,

I don't know about all the details but these French ships are not battleships but maybe classed as warships as they were used by the allies.

The Paris II

Was a Patrol vessel of only 551 Grts

She was sunk by shore batteries or battery in the Gulf of Avala on the 13th Dec 1917 all 17 crew were rescued and PoW.

The Alexandra

Was a 182 ton Trawler and reported sunk by a German U Boat (UC 7) in the Gulf of Adalia on the 8th March 1918.

These warships are small in size and there jobs are not to engage shore batteries as they had only a small gun for self defence, what they were doing in the Gulf is not mentioned but they were not there to fight and were made easy pickings for any Turkish battery with more and heavier guns.

As for the sinking of the Alexandra there is no record of her being engaged by shore batteries only by the U Boat so I am unsure how the Turkish officer became involved. It would seem only in the rescue of the survivers and there imprisonment.

Sorry if that tarnishes this fine officer as is record is very good in sinking what he did,

Cheers

S.B

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 20 Aug 2006, 23:35

Mates,

Correction, my sourse on the sinking of the Alexandra appears incorrect, and UC 7 could not have sunk this ship.

This would make the Turkish claim to be correct and she was sunk by Turkish shore batteries.

Sorry to mislead you.

Cheers

S.B

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 22 Oct 2006, 14:35

They were no shore batteries. They were just artillary guns carried to the roadless, no- man- mountain tops where eagles dare and coats not dare. Turkish artillary soldiers demontaged the guns and carried in pieces to the mountain top and montaged again to be ready to fire.
To day the place where they trenched and fired is within the area of a French Sommer Vocation Village for French tourists.
What an igony!

stevebecker

Post by stevebecker » 24 Oct 2006, 03:29

Mate,

No worries,

That makes sence as the two small boats sunk by the gun fire must have been surprised when fired apon by the Turkish guns.

They were to small to be engaging any thing the size of a field battery which had the advanges of surprise, weight of shell, range and the ability to change positions if spotted.

It makes the fight a one sided affair once the Turkish commander skillfully moved and set up his field guns to engage the enemy ships.

"Like shooting ducks in a barrel" as the old saying goes.

Cheers

S.B

Gallipolian

Post by Gallipolian » 20 Nov 2007, 14:55

Dear All,

I am currently producing a documentary about the life of Mustafa Ertugrul Aker.
I have a couple of questions kindly seeking assistance from the experts..

1) It has been stated thet the guns he used were German ERHART 7.7 mountain guns. Could you please post me some pictures of this gun.

2) Before going to Kaş the officer saw action at Gallipoli and Galicia. In his diaries it is stated that he has shot an allied plane at Gallipoli. Any information or pictures concerning the gun he might used at Gallipoli.

3) In his diaries it is stated that Ben-my-Chree was hit on Sunday 27 Kanunevvel 1916. In Commander Samson reports that his ship was hit on January 8, 1917. Could you confirm any of those dates as it is clear that the widely spread date of sinking, 11 January 1917 must be wrong.

Thank you for your kind interest and best regards..

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 26 Nov 2007, 11:47

Gallipolian wrote: 2) Before going to Kaş the officer saw action at Gallipoli and Galicia. In his diaries it is stated that he has shot an allied plane at Gallipoli. Any information or pictures concerning the gun he might used at Gallipoli.
Dear Savaş, I hope the following memory of Navy Col. on the Deck (Emekli Güverte Albayı) M. Şakir Tunççapa enligtens your searches.
"Çanakkale Muharebeleri Hatıralarım" (My Memories of Dardanels Sea Battles) published by Metin Martı in the book "Çanakkale Hatıraları", Arma Yayınları No: 51, 2005

"Official Report
20 Kanunuevvel (December)1915
published by General HQs:
1.......... A seaplane of the enemy is crashed by our fire and its pilot and navigator taken POW..........."

TS's nota: This could be the plane that Mustafa Ertuğrul crashed.

Gallipolian

Post by Gallipolian » 26 Nov 2007, 16:18

Dear Mr. Tosun,

What a valuable note. I will start digging it. Please keep enlightening.. Kindest regards, SK

http://www.devletarsivleri.gov.tr/yayin ... e_2/52.htm
http://www.devletarsivleri.gov.tr/yayin ... e_2/66.htm

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”