General Tahsin Yazici

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
Peter H

General Tahsin Yazici

Post by Peter H » 04 Jul 2005, 11:24

Another myth that is out there?

The Turkish Brigade in Korea 1951:

"Initially, Turkey sent the 1st Turkish Brigade, commanded by Brig. Gen. Tahsin Yazici. Their commander, General Yazici, was an aging brigadier who had been a division commander fighting the British at Gallipoli in 1916. He was highly regarded in the Turkish military establishment and willingly stepped down a rank in order to command the first contingent of Turks in Korea."

Yazici,on left,in Korea.

http://usconsulate-istanbul.org.tr/kore ... /kore1.jpg

While not doubting that Yazici was a WW1 veteran I find it hard to believe he commanded a Division in 1915.

Can anyone verify his age and military experience?

bob lembke
In memoriam

Turkish Officer

Post by bob lembke » 04 Jul 2005, 19:21

Peter;

A few comments.

Without bothering with actual facts, I might observe that this is conceivable.

Many Turkish divisions seemed to have been commanded by colonels at Gallipoli, I think, including Mustafa Kemal Pasha; later Kemal Atatürk (Or, if my Turkish does not fail me, "Kemal. father of Turkey.")

Secondly, some of these guys were rather young. They weren't called "Young Turks" for nothing. (That actually was a political party, and probably most young Turkish officers were not literally "Young Turks". But you get the idea. The old farts were being overthrown.)

So a 32 year old colonel in late 1915 could be a 67 year old general in 1951. Would have been a nice gesture (or reminder) by the Turks, and if the guy was in his dotage he could have been issued a really sharp chief of staff. Do the Turks go to the German extreme of the "Ia" of chief of staff actually being more important than the CO?

Incidentally, I remember that photo from my last visit to the Askeri Müze in Istanbul last September. My third visit to the "Military Museum", a great place. As I remember there was an elaborate display about the leadership of the Turkish contingent; perhaps such service might be a reason. Frankly, it was the period in time of Turkish military history in which I probably have the least interest, and I was trailing my rapidly moving travel partner.

Incidentally, again, anyone know about the supposed three volume history (in English) of either the Gallipoli campaign, or WW I, supposedly once put out by the Turkish General Staff and supposedly to be re-issued at some time?

Bob Lembke

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 05 Jul 2005, 15:21

Thanks Bob!

Also refer here to a discussion on another forum about the Gallipoli history:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forum ... 28379&st=0

Regards,
Peter

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 23 Jul 2005, 21:34

Hi Peter,

Yes this is true fact that Tahsin Yazıcı was a Gallipoli veteran.He commanded a Division in Gallipoli and after.To command a division,he had volunteerly decreased his ranks.

On the other hand,Tahsin Yazıcı was already very old to command an unit in Korean War;However as you stated in your message,Mr.Yazıcı was very populer name among the Turkish Army,he was respected very much.

As far as I know he died in 1971.

Best Regards
Tolga

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 05 Nov 2005, 01:10

Tolga Alkan wrote:Hi Peter,

Yes this is true fact that Tahsin Yazıcı was a Gallipoli veteran.He commanded a Division in Gallipoli and after.To command a division,he had volunteerly decreased his ranks.

On the other hand,Tahsin Yazıcı was already very old to command an unit in Korean War;However as you stated in your message,Mr.Yazıcı was very populer name among the Turkish Army,he was respected very much.

As far as I know he died in 1971.

Best Regards
Tolga
Tahsin Yazici had never commanded a division in Gallipoli or on the other battlefields. He served as a lower rank officer. He was borned and araised in Manastir at 1892. For that reason many writers say about him that he was of Albanian origin. He garduated from Harbiye the war school in 1912 as a cavalry officer. He fought in WW1 and in Turkish War of Indepandence. In 1949 he promoted to Brigadier General. After the abolishement of Cavalty Units in Turkish Army he became a Tank officer. His army registration number is "Tnk 1328-b-3"(Tnk= Tank, 1328= The year 1912, b-3= Third of his class) In 1951 he promoted to Major General. He retired from the army in 1952 and became a MP of the governing Democrat Party. After the military coup of 1960 he was arrested by military police and put in prison as all the other MP's of the party without acception. He died in Ankara in 1971. May Allah rest him in peace. He was a hero and A brave turkish son.

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 06 Apr 2007, 10:39

Maj. Gen. Tahsin Yazici as Officer cadet of the 3rd Class of the Cav. School

Source:Tunca Orses-Necmettin Ozcelik "I.Dunya Savasinda Turk Askeri Kiyafetleri" ( Turkish Military Uniform during WW1)

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 15 Apr 2007, 07:22

Another General.

From the AWM website:
1954---Korea. 18 March 1954. Lieutenant General Vedat-Garan, a Turkish General who fought against the Australians at Gallipoli, inspects a guard of honour commanded by the son of one of the World War I soldiers. The occasion was a courtesy visit to 2nd Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment (2RAR), soon to leave Korea. The General is seen passing through the ranks of the Australian guard of honour,
Attachments
garan.jpg
garan.jpg (45.56 KiB) Viewed 1564 times

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”