Parade marches of the Wehrmacht

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
mty

Parade marches of the Wehrmacht

Post by mty » 17 Jun 2004, 22:49

[Several topics dealing with similar subjects have been merged and renamed by the host, Ivan Ž.]

Hi!

Was there a certain "policy" about what to play in different situations? For example as far as I know, always when LSSAH paraded and Hitler was around, the "Badenweiler Marsch" was played. Could Wehrmacht bands play SS marches such as Badenweiler (well, it wasn't originally an SS march but adopted as one) or was it forbidden?

Regards,
Mikko

Roger Griffiths

Post by Roger Griffiths » 18 Jun 2004, 18:33

I'm not a music expert, but I had a couple of LP's (Remember them) of German marching music. As far as I could tell they were all written in Imperial times, one even by Frederick the Great. Badenweiler was regimental march of the LSSAH. I suppose Preussens Gloria is the best known and should be patented as a guaranteed cure for depression.

One of the LP's I had was by the West German Army Band. So after WWII the same music was being played. Also still popular at the autumn Bierfesten.

Roger
Last edited by Roger Griffiths on 18 Jun 2004, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

chazmaninc

Post by chazmaninc » 02 Jan 2015, 06:48

Hello everyone,

I know that several of the Waffen-SS units had marches that were tied to them, but what about the rest of the Heer, KM and Luftwaffe? Did each division have an official march? What about the Heer as a whole?

Thanks and I'm glad to be here.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 02 Jan 2015, 07:38

:welcome:
several of the Waffen-SS units had marches that were tied to them
Today perhaps some of the music pieces are advertised as "Waffen-SS" marches so they can sell well, but back then - I'm not so sure.
Some of the songs quite often performed by SS were actually 100-300 years old, eg. 'Der Gott der Eisen wachsen ließ'.

SQ37

Post by SQ37 » 02 Jan 2015, 15:30

Hello,

It is not really proper to speak of "official marches". Most of the marches played came from the traditional Armeemarschsammlung. But it is true that each unit may have had a specific march it played more, during parades and such (that of the LAH was the Badenweiler-Marsch for example). Some of the most played marches in the army were: Preussens Gloria, Königgrätzer-Marsch, Regimentsgruss, Revue-Marsch, Steinmetz-Marsch, Helenen-Marsch, Des Großen Kurfürsten Reitermarsch, Prinz-Eugen-Marsch, Preussischer Präsentiermarsch, Defiliermarsch, Der Coburger, Alte Kameraden, Erzherzog Albrecht-Marsch, Gruß an Kiel, etc. The Kriegsmarine did not have many marches of its own but it had its songs. However, the Luftwaffe had many marches of its own. Most carried a very different spirit than those of the army. This CD is the best on the Luftwaffe's music: http://stores.militaryhistoryshop.com/s ... 1936-1943/

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 02 Jan 2015, 19:10

It's a long tradition in the German army that the units have their official parade-marches. These were mostly old, traditional marches, and often the same march was used in parades by various regiments ("Fridericus Rex" by Radeck was one of the most popular and used by many units). The old tradition was continued in the Wehrmacht as well. List of SS-VT parade marches, for example, can be found in Bunge's book "Musik in der Waffen-SS" (all were traditional marches, composed before SS existed; by the way, these marches were recorded by HMK 5 of the Bundeswehr as a tribute to the Waffen-SS; that album was released by the pro-nazi Munin-Verlag, the same as Bunge's book).

Various Wehrmacht units also often had songs composed specially for them, generally by soldiers serving in them. Naturally, not all of those songs were used as official songs of their units, only a couple were. See the Songs Section of Axis History Factbook for a couple of examples. Instrumental marches were also composed for specific Wehrmacht units, but I don't remember an example of such a march ever becoming an official one (for example: LSSAH bandleader composed a march for this unit, but their official parade march remained old Fürst's "Badenweiler"; Husadel composed a march for Jagdgeschwader Richthofen, but unit's parade march remained Strauß' "Geschwindmarch"; etc).

Cheers,
Ivan

chazmaninc

Post by chazmaninc » 04 Jan 2015, 18:14

Thanks for the info gents.

Sirlite

Post by Sirlite » 21 Apr 2018, 10:29

Hi, new member here. Earlier, I posted this same question on a wrong subforum, but now that I discovered this subforum I guess it’s the right place.

I have been wondering what are the most commonly played marches by the Wehrmacht and SS respectively. Do they have ‘poster song/s’ that you could simply expect in every parade as akin to Japan’s Batto Tai March, China’s Parade March of the PLA (分列式进行曲), or Thailand’s Royal Thai Army March (มาร์ชกองทัพบก)? You can try looking at various military parade videos of these 3 countries respectively that they mostly, if not all, have those ‘poster songs’ in parade. Speaking of poster songs, I still can’t find answer to this day; do the Heer, Kriegsmarine, and Luftwaffe (not sure, but is Flieg, Vogel, Flieg! the Luftwaffe anthem?) each got their own primary anthem? Lastly, are there records of what do they usually play when parading in occupied countries like France?

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 21 Apr 2018, 11:24

Hello, Sirlite, and :welcome:

Most German units had a parade march (Ger. Parademarsch) and a song of their own. Some of the most common parade marches one could hear during a Third Reich military parade were "Defiliermarsch", "Regimentsgruß", "Geschwindmarsch nach Motiven aus Quadrillen" and many others.

You may search this topic, for example, with the word "Parademarsch" viewtopic.php?f=81&t=120685 One of the results would be: "Badonviller-Marsch [...] Parademarsch der Leibstandarte des Führers". It means that the "Badonviller-Marsch" was used as a parade march by the Leibstandarte (the future 1st SS Division). Or: "Defiliermarsch [...] Parademarsch der Wachtruppe Berlin". It means that the "Defiliermarsch" was used as a parade march by Wachtruppe Berlin. The Wachtruppe Berlin later grew into the "Großdeutschland" Regiment (and later a division) and continued using the same parade march. And so on.

Search also the topic list: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=214057

Also of interest: marches played during Hitler's birthday parades viewtopic.php?f=81&t=58137&start=15#p1334255

See the AHF list of songs (compiled by the music section host), most of which are tied to a specific unit or military branch: http://www.axishistory.com/index.php/ab ... -wehrmacht

You will find "Flieg', Vogel, flieg'!" in the last list. It's a Kampfflieger song, but it's not an anthem. Just one of several Kampfflieger songs.

Heer, Kriegsmarine, and Luftwaffe had no primary anthems.

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”