The official AHF Third Reich music quiz thread

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Question 90

Post by Ivan Ž. » 26 Nov 2019 19:00

Teppeny wrote:
26 Nov 2019 18:28
I know that the melodie is "Musketier' sind lust'ge Brüder" but I have no clue of this song, the far I undestood is "Unser Hauptmann..."
:thumbsup:

It is indeed the folk song "Musketier' sind lust'ge Brüder" (also known as "Siegreich woll'n wir Frankreich schlagen"), cut from Gustav Gnauck's march "Soldatenmut", a recording from 1940 by Hans Teichmann's band. It's the 2nd strophe: "Unser Hauptmann steigt zu Pferde, führt uns in das Feld. Siegreich woll'n wir Frankreich schlagen, sterben als ein tapfrer Held."

Being tied to the Franco-Prussian war (1870), the old "Musketier' sind lust'ge Brüder" song was repopularised during the invasion of France (1940). Composer Herms Niel used its melody in two of his war campaign songs: as closing tune in "Kamerad, wir marschieren im Westen!" (Frankreichlied) and as trio in "Gegen Briten und Franzosen" (Marsch nach der Melodie: Siegreich woll'n wir Frankreich schlagen). Teichmann's band recorded the old Gnauck's and the new Niel's compositions in one recording session, dedicated to the invasion of France.

As I wrote before - war and propaganda songs are not just music, as ignorant people often like to "think" and claim. There's much symbolism and hidden messages in them, above all the reminders of past conflicts with a certain nation, whose purpose is to reawake old enmity and hatred.

Over to Teppeny!
Ivan

Teppeny

Question 91

Post by Teppeny » 07 Dec 2019 22:19

Hello, sorry for the late reply, I had a problem with my computer.
https://youtu.be/dW9gl9DcgpU
What is the name of the melody of this french boy scout song ? It's very easy, I don't have inspiration.

Good luck !
Teppeny

Auceps

Re: Question 91

Post by Auceps » 09 Dec 2019 18:58

Hello,

it's 'Als die gold'ne Abendsonne'. :)

Cheers,
Auceps

Teppeny

Re: Question 91

Post by Teppeny » 11 Dec 2019 18:21

Good answer! It was really easy !
Your turn now !

Auceps

Re: Question 92

Post by Auceps » 14 Dec 2019 22:57

Thanks, Teppeny!

My question would be a bit complicated: Which pretty famous march and salon music composer (non-Jewish) was officially proclaimed as 'unwelcome' for the Waffen-SS bands? A small hint: His most famous march has a Latin title.

Tretyak

Re: The official AHF Third Reich music quiz thread

Post by Tretyak » 14 Dec 2019 23:18

Is it perhaps Ernst Urbach with his "Per aspera ad astra"?

Auceps

Re: Question 92

Post by Auceps » 14 Dec 2019 23:28

Correct! His music was considered 'unwelcome', because, according to the official ordinance of the SS-FHA from January 20, 1942, his compositions and arrangements 'distort' standart compositions of the German musical repertoire in 'escpecially kitchy and disrespectful manner' and make them to a corner stone of 'cheap and completely outmoded salon medleys'.

Your turn!

Return to “Music of the Reich”