Chor der Singleiter der Wehrmacht

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Alexander B.

Chor der Singleiter der Wehrmacht

Post by Alexander B. » 09 May 2021, 16:26

Hello Everyone,

A pleasure to write to you as always.

I'm not quite ready to review any of these yet; but, a collection of 9 records with 18 recordings from "Der Chor der Singleiter der Wehrmacht" came into my possession over the course of the last year and I wanted to share them with you already and ask for any additional information that might be had on them.

So far, I've struggled to turn up any information on these recordings at all. I found list of 8 of them on the Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek. However, the information is not comprehensive for all of the records, and the photos are so small as to be unusable!

Here are scans of all 9 of mine, and a track listing for ease of use.

Does anyone else know of any more of these records and what purpose they served?

They seem to be produced by the "Special Recordings Department" at Telefunken, so I'm guessing that these were not commercial records!

Telefunken-T-70590.JPG
Telefunken-T-70591.JPG
Telefunken-T-70592.JPG
Telefunken-T-70593.JPG
Telefunken-T-70594.JPG
Telefunken-T-70595.JPG
Telefunken-T-70596.JPG
Telefunken-T-70597.JPG
Telefunken-T-70598.JPG

Telefunken T 70590: Innsbruck, ich muss dich lassen / Muss i denn zum Städtele hinaus
Telefunken T 70591: Jungfrau, dein schön Gestalt / Landsknechtsständchen
Telefunken T 70592: Ich habe Lust in weitem Feld / Musketier sein lustge Brüder
Telefunken T 70593: Der Käppen, der Stürmann / Lilofee
Telefunken T 70594: Wohlan, die Zeit ist kommen / Ein Schifflein sah ich fahren
Telefunken T 70595: Lützow's wilde verwegene Jagd / Prinz Eugen
Telefunken T 70596: Steh auf hohem Berge / Des Morgens zwischen drein und vieren
Telefunken T 70597: Wenn alle. untreu werden / Wohlauf, Kameraden
Telefunken T 70598: Deutschland stirbt nicht / Deutschland, heiliges. Wort

With regards as always, Gentlemen.
Alexander

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Chor der Singleiter der Wehrmacht

Post by Ivan Ž. » 10 May 2021, 07:36

Hello, Alex

They released two more records:

Telefunken T 70599: Trösterin Musik / Die Rose stand im Tau
Telefunken T 70600: Beim Kronenwirt / Und jetzt gang i an's Peters Brünnele

On Telefunken T 70599, the choir was led by Georg Frigge. All recordings were made in 1942.

Note that there was also a Kriegsmarine Singleiter choir, which made several records for Telefunken and radio (accompanied by G. Grosch's band).

Cheers,
Ivan

Alexander B.

Post by Alexander B. » 03 Oct 2021, 14:35

Hello Ivan,

Sorry to not respond right away. After my exams I was in the United States for a while, now I'm home again.

Firstly,
let me thank you very much for the information that you have already discovered over these records. Thats already more than I knew!

I have to admit, I'm a little depressed I still have two more to find. :lol:
Sometimes the records seem like they are a never ending hunt; but, if it did eventually end, what would I do then?
At least I can tell myself that I already have the majority of them and seem to have the most desirable songs already.

Interesting that for the T 70599, the choir was led by a different man. Can you think of any reason for this? Maybe he was very skilled with that particular pair of songs? Is he listed instead of Arndt on the top of that singular record!? That must have been a frustrating, having a different leader for two out of the 22 tracks released in this series.

I'm also getting curious about these Kriegsmarine pressings now, Ivan! I'll have to come across one eventually.

What was the purpose of such records as these- They do seem non-commercial in nature. Were they pressed for the members of these choirs, perhaps?

All the best, Ivan!
More soon!
Alex

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 15 Oct 2021, 17:15

Hello, Alex

No concrete answers this time, I'm afraid. Regarding Frigge, check: https://portal.dnb.de/opac/simpleSearch ... nken+70599
Die Rose stand im Tau [...] Trösterin Musik [...] Der Chor der Singleiter der Wehrmacht. Leitung: Georg Frigge
and http://www.abruckner.com/vocal_instrume ... ag=249.htm
Trösterin Musik [...]. Das Aufnahmedatum der ältesten bekannten Aufnahme ist unbekannt, muss aber aus der zweiten Hälfte der 1930er oder aus der ersten Hälfte der 1940er Jahre stammen, denn Frigge, als Sänger in den 1930ern ein wenig bekannt, dirigiert hier den "Chor der Singleiter der Wehrmacht". Der Chor singt gut, massiv, kräftig; das Tempo ist sehr langsam, ab und zu wird gezogen und kommt die Musik fast zum Stillstand, vor allem am Ende, wo die Partitur "sehr langsam" vorschreibt, und endet ppp.
Cheers,
Ivan

Alexander B.

Post by Alexander B. » 29 Apr 2023, 00:28

Ivan,

Somehow this response to my topic has slipped through my radar. I am very sorry to have not given you a response.

Thank you for this small amount of very useful information regarding Georg Frigge and his recordings from the series.

I find it very interesting that the record is claimed to be a 30cm disk. Certinaly, this was unexpected by me!

The information regarding Trösterin Musik was also quite welcomed. It seems there was quite a bit of interest in this piece, and a few different groups recorded it.

Since my last writing I have managed to secure a very nicely preserved copy of Telefunken T 70600. The label is not as well preserved as the other records I have from the series; however, the shellack itself is immaculate and I am happy with the tradeoff.

Telefunken-T-70600.jpg

Fingers crossed I land a copy of T 70599 in the near future so I can call that collection complete!

Regards
Alex

Schmeisser

Post by Schmeisser » 30 Jan 2024, 00:37

Hello!

Does anyone know if this very Günther Arndt could have been the conductor on these recordings?

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Günther_A ... horleiter)

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 03 Feb 2024, 11:25

Try contacting the admin(s) of the RIAS Chamber Choir website (it's listed under sources) and ask if they have info on his wartime service.

Cheers,
Ivan

Schmeisser

Post by Schmeisser » 03 Feb 2024, 22:37

Thanks for the idea, I’ve just contacted them :milwink:

Return to “Music of the Reich”