Songs and marches of the Condor Legion

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Songs and marches of the Condor Legion

Post by Ivan Ž. » 23 May 2021 10:57

guillermomq wrote:
21 May 2021 23:52
Hi. I am working about Legion Condor and i want to know if there are more information, sources or references about the composition or creation of the original song "Lied der Legion Condor". I understand that the song was recorded and published in 1939, but i assume it was compounded before. My question is: is it posible that the soldiers of the A/88 sang this song in september 1937 in the battle of Asturias? It could exist some sources that could corroborate or overrade this theory? Thank you very much. Your post have helped me a lot.
Hello and :welcome:

Yes, it's possible that it was created before 1939. However, all currently known sources mention only 1939, when the song was incorporated into the Bögelsack's march, recorded and published. No further info on the creation of the song, unfortunately.

Do share the reason for suspecting that it might have been composed before 1939 (which I find very plausible as well).

Cheers,
Ivan

PS
If needed, some additional info on the creation of the Bombenflieger song/march can be found here viewtopic.php?f=81&t=207515&start=15

guillermomq

Post by guillermomq » 24 May 2021 01:50

Thank you so much!

Unfortunately, I don´t speak German, but i will try asking for help. Well, i haven´t got evidences to know for sure that the creation of the song (melody and lyrics) is previous to 1939, but i think it is a theory that makes sense. Usually this songs are composed to be sung by the troop and feed morale. These are the words that made me suspect this: "The catchy song became popular very quickly and it was soon played as the main song of the entire "Legion Condor"", the Legion Condor was dissolved in 1939, but fought since the beginning of the war, and it takes time to create, popularize and even create different versions of a song. These are the reasons that made me think that this was a song that maybe wasn´t created, but at least yes was gestated during the combats and not at the end or after the war, regardless of having been recorded in 1939. For example, about the song "Bombenfliegerlied der Legion Condor", it happens the same, i don´t know the sources, but it is mentioned that both songs are "created" in 1939, nevertheless, there is a different detail about the description of this one: "He was not a musician and never actually wrote down the notes, nor named the song. Him and his men just sung it and unofficially called it "Bombenfliegerlied". Only after the meeting with a professional musician, Stabsmusikmeister Hans Teichmann (in 1939), the official musical score was written", it is not specified when the song was sang by him and his men, but i think that make sense that the lyrics had been created during the war, when the song had a practical use, and not after just like a record or registration of a experience. I don´t know what do you think about, I´ll try to read the sources you passed me and I hope found more info.

Thanks!

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 24 May 2021 02:10

Hello again,

Generally, such theorising is a waste of time. If you, for example, had a historical source mentioning the legionnaires singing some song of theirs before 1939, that would be a different story and a solid reason to start theorising. But to theorise merely because it may make sense is pointless. Composing a song at the end of the war makes sense too. Composing a song after the war also makes sense. Many things may make sense. (And popularising a tune generally didn't take long either.) This is why we stick with the known sources until new and reliable information resurfaces.

Cheers,
Ivan

silvestrik

Post by silvestrik » 03 Jun 2021 21:03

I'm looking for the original score of the "Marsch der Legion Condor".
Anybody knows where I can find it ?

Return to “Music of the Reich”