Sound recording and reproduction in the Third Reich

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Matt Gibbs

Sound recording and reproduction in the Third Reich

Post by Matt Gibbs » 07 May 2002, 23:44

[Several threads dealing with similar subjects have been merged. Ivan Ž.]

I am led to believe that the German recording industry was quite advanced and their records were really good quality. i have a few pre war Deutsche Grammophon GmbH records that play really well, but no marching tunes! Did the Germans not have an early version of the tape recorder too..? Not for commercial purposes perhaps...

Regards
Matt G

Soldatenlieder und Märsch

Post by Soldatenlieder und Märsch » 08 May 2002, 06:34

Yes the German Record industry had technically very advanced equipment during the Third Reich and the original 78's usually have really good quality in listening to them. Much I think is that they didn´t use sand in the schellack as they did in other countries and the result was that the records sounded much clearer then for an example an english or an american 78 record. Do you know when your DG original pre war 78's are recorded? If not please give me the Best.nr and the matrix nr for each record and maybe I can help you to get the recording date for it!

Best wishes from
Mats

Panzerjäger

Recording techniques in the Third Reich

Post by Panzerjäger » 22 Jun 2007, 01:45

Does anyone know where to find information on the recording techniques of the Third Reich Era?

FreiDurchDieTat

Audio formats in the III Reich

Post by FreiDurchDieTat » 24 Jun 2007, 11:35

What were the most common, and also less common, formats on which music and other recordings were issues in Germany during the NS era...

78 rpm gramophone records, wire recordings, reel-to-reel tapes...?

behemoth

Re: Audio formats in the III Reich

Post by behemoth » 30 Jun 2007, 20:55

FreiDurchDieTat wrote:What were the most common, and also less common, formats on which music and other recordings were issues in Germany during the NS era...

78 rpm gramophone records, wire recordings, reel-to-reel tapes...?
Schellack mainly but also one finds some flexible discs and I've heard (but not seen) that a few postcards with short songs on them were around. Then, too, some reel to reel tape. For example, the "secret" recording made of Hitler in Finland was made on tape. Some broadcasts were arranged for reel to reel tape. Let's not forget the medium of the "Tonfilm" but naturally this wasn't for the home. Still much footage of concerts and performances was recorded on film.

I am almost certain tape was not used as a medium for the consumer market. As for wire recordings, I think that became an acceptable format after WWII even though it pre-dates the war. And, at that, it wasn't wildly popular as a format.

I have seen on Ebay what appear to be acetate recordings made for the Heer to broadcast propaganda to enemy troops....

Dave

Alexander B.

Equalization Curves for German 78 Manufacturers?

Post by Alexander B. » 28 Oct 2015, 01:05

Hello again!

I'm beginning to sort out my needs as far as restoration equipment goes for building a 78RPM station goes. Right now I'm considering different preamps and it has me wondering if anyone has sorted out the standard EQ's for the different German record manufacturers of the time period?

Any information you guys could provide would be ideal. Perhaps Ivan Z. has some personal lessons from his work he'd like to share?

Alex

Alexander B.

Re:

Post by Alexander B. » 21 Jan 2016, 11:33

[Split from Recommended books on Third Reich music]

Ivan,

Do you know of any books specifically dealing in part or in whole with the issues of missing data on equalization curves for German produced records of the period? Or any medium for that matter? I have gone so far as to contact the original manufacturers who are of course unwilling as ever to help.(If I was a record company I wouldn't want to relive my days of producing brainwashing material either) I'm becoming worried I'm to begin my archiving experiments without proper data on EQ's. I've begun investing in the proper equipment to properly archive records (Cedar X series archive equipment, a specially modified SL-1200, ect) But need at least a starting point for the EQ information. You don't think the Deutsches Rundfunk Archive would be of much help to me, do you? Existing information I've found seems scattered and unreliable at best, non existent for many of the smaller companies. There are still 0 answers to my EQ sub-forum. Someone must know something about these EQ's? Any leads?

All the best
Alex

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re:

Post by Ivan Ž. » 21 Jan 2016, 13:49

Dear Alex,

I think you are trying to take this hobby to an unreachable, and most of all a really unnecessary level. I don't think anyone will be able to provide you the answers you seek, and will find your inquiry odd. It's been nearly a century since most of those recordings were made, and in many cases over a century. Also, so many info and material were lost in the bombings. No, indeed I don't think the DRA would be of much help to you either. Just: leave it be. Relax and enjoy the music and the records as you hear them :)

Cheers,
Ivan

Admiral Bloonbeard

Music industry in Axis countries during World War 2

Post by Admiral Bloonbeard » 23 Jul 2021, 17:50

How did record companies in Axis countries record and manufacture records during World War 2?

Return to “Music of the Reich”